Bark Legging Lead

8:54 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
120 forum posts

I got the chance to come up to "heaven" again, earlier this month (May, 2013) and wanted to highlight another short, "easy-to-moderate" trail to share with folks who may be reluctant to get out into the woods otherwise.

I took the hint from Tim Homan's great book "Hiking Trails of the Cohutta & Big Frog Wildernesses" where he talks about the Grassy Gap trail as one that fits the bill.  Grassy Gap crosses the Bark Legging Lead (ridge) in the valley area below Big Frog Mountain to the west side.  

Easy search found the Sylco Campground (only has picnic tables, a clear stream, and the outhouse you see in the background) to be one that is nearest to Grassy Gap...

017.jpg

so I set up a base-camp tent and tarp--location is just about 15 miles east of Cleveland, TN, on Forest Service road 221.

009.jpg

After a night's sleep from the 10 hour drive from the Gulf Coast, I drove the 2 miles farther up FS 221 to the Wolf Ridge trail junction...

024.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

...which followed a scenic course, a "moderate" walk at worst, looking out toward the west, and heading south toward an intersection with the Grassy Gap trail:

049.jpg

045.jpg

finally coming to the intersection with Grassy Gap trail which starts from there and goes northeast (take a left at these signs).  

051.jpg

052.jpg

054.jpg

060.jpg

Grassy Gap is an "internal" trail, beginning and ending without leaving the wilderness.  This trail (built by the CCC in the 1930's) "maximizes scenery and minimizes leg strain" (Horton, 173) by taking an enjoyably level course through steep, rugged woods and bouldered streams for 5 miles, through hollows, around ridges, and mostly under tall canopy.  In honor of the "'Bark' Legging Lead" in these woods, I took some bark-and-leaf photos--it may be fun to make some of the distinctions.  So, here I go, down from Wolf Ridge a ways...

061.jpg

...to camp for the first night at one of the stream crossings.  There are no clearly established campsites (no level ground, in fact!) until you get to the bottom of the trail at its intersection with Big Creek trail at about mile 3.3.  I found a semi-level spot next to a dry creek bed here.

062.jpg

Next day I finished a total of 6 stream crossings before getting to the valley bottom crossing with Big Creek trail.

Here, stopped to soak my feet a while here and found it hard to leave.

070.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

087.jpg

088.jpg

090.jpg

092.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

099.jpg

106.jpg

108.jpg

112.jpg

114.jpg

118.jpg

123.jpg

I came to this cairn at another steam crossing near the end, cleverly added my rock to it, and made the second night's camp here.

126.jpg

Looking up at the canopy from the stream bed.

128.jpg

134.jpg

shagbark?

140.jpg

146.jpg

I took Big Creek trail south from its intersection with Grassy Gap trail, finding it very under-maintained, not to mention much more strenuous compared to Grassy Gap trail, though someone had, thankfully, marked it with red surveyor's tape along the way.  Here I finally fight my way up to eye level with the Big Frog trail and it was like finding a 4-lane highway!  Notice another cairn marking this intersection (mid-right side)...

156.jpg

157.jpg

that cairn again; I guess they're replacing sign-posts and figure the hiker has a map and compass?!

149.jpg

Here, I rest a bit, take a short left-turn trip (north) to check out Chimneytop,

164.jpg

then headed southward to Big Frog summit:

160.jpg

A good time.

I'll leave you to search other reports that do much better justice to the Big Frog and Hemp Top trails (see the "Search" window in the upper right corner).  My "loop" ends when Hemptop trail meets up with Wolf Ridge after dropping down to the west from Big Frog toward Chestnut Mountain, then going west on Wolf Ridge trail less than a mile back to where we started at Grassy Gap trail.  The meeting of Hemptop with Wolf Ridge trails is also marked only by a cairn, I believe, so Mr. Homan encourages us to add to the pile for it to serve us better.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.  I had a wonderful trip to these beautiful woods, and am glad I finally got off the porch to do it.  Happy Hiking!

10:40 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Great report and beautiful shots of the springtime forest! I'm seeing hickory, (red) oak and hemlock trees.

6:45 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Looks like wonderful walk. I can see why you wouldn't want to leave that stream. 

7:39 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
120 forum posts

Thanks for the comments, fellas.  Now that I'm back home, it's hard to stay inside!  Yeah, bigup79, you're right on with Tim Homan's book about the major trees in that area.  I see you're relatively new to Trailspace:  welcome!

2:32 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

nice B!

2:50 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I see others here of a Sylvan bent :) 

There is a particular, meaningful beauty to old trees. Thanks for Sharing, Bunion! 

6:28 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
120 forum posts

Thanks, fellas.  Nice to be up in your neck of the woods again!

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply