About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Finally back out for a few days...

12:31 a.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Last Wednesday(May 15th) I finally was afforded the opportunity to put pack to back and boots to trail on my usual stomping grounds-the LHHT.

This was a multi-task trip as it not only served as a bit of a decompression for me from day to day life but it also gave me the chance to do a bit of gear testing and a little trail maintenance. 

As some of you may know I have been doing a bit of whining(backcountry withdrawals) because I missed my 2 favorite seasons this year (Fall & Winter)due to work. 

Well, I was out for 4 nights and 5 days. 

...and boy did I need it.

Wednesday: 

So day one starts off with me being dropped off at the rt31 parking area. As you can see in the photo below Big Blue(my Osprey Argon 85) sat this trip out. 

009.jpg

I make the somewhat short trek to the shelter area and set camp for the night. 

011.jpg

I was set-up by 1pm so this gave me a chance to do what I really love to do. Play with some of my gear and look for bugs & critters.

I made friends with a lil eight legged buddy that was quite jumpy. He sure like the gold toned poles on my Soulo.

013.jpg

Shortly after one of his friends arrived and then a few more. I suppose there was some type of eight legged family reunion going on. 

I noticed that there was quite a bit of White Trillium in the area.

016.jpg 

So I decided to sniff said White Trillium and this was the result.

017.jpg

So shortly after my "euphoric experience" I decided to call it a night. I have to say I did have some very vivid dreams.

Thursday: 

Next day it was somewhat over-cast. I packed up all of my gear and hit the trail for the trek to Grindle Ridge. 

I traveled through two counties on this section of trail and it wasn't long until I made it to the county line.

020.jpg

Shortly after I cross the county divide I finally make summit !!!!

021.jpg

...okay, not much of an accomplishment but it did grant me an opportunity to see how dialed in my ProTrek was.

022.jpg

I have to say 8ft isn't all that bad and being I was slightly below the peak of the ridge the reading may have been closer than I had initially realized.

So after fiddling with my wrist gizmo for a few and contemplating becoming a tree wrangler(j/k) I made my way from the side of the road and back onto the trail. 

As I meandered along I found that someone had left me a bunch of cottage cheese by a tree.

023.jpg

After contemplating having an on-trail snack I decided that this batch would be better off left alone so I continued along my way.

As I traveled along I made my way to a section of evergreens on the trail. 

025.jpg

I just love these sections of trail. I am not quite sure why but nevertheless. 

After stopping here for a photo op I continued along my merry way until I caught a glimpse of the tower that sits atop of the ridge which was in my line of travel.

027.jpg

Well, I made my way to the top of the ridge where the tower in the previous pic resides and I have to say it was quite chilly. I decided to stop to have a bite to eat and I actually had to put my shell on. 

030.jpg

As I made my way down the opposite side of the ridge I ran into a Red Trillium.

031.jpg

I decided not to sniff this one from the effects of what happened when I took a whiff of the White. 

Last thing I wanted was to be walking down a yellow brick road in the land of Oz with flying monkeys chasing me around...

I continued on my way through Seven Springs Ski Resort. 

I looked behind to see where I was and could see the tower where I just had lunch. 

036.jpg

I could swear that I faintly heard the sound of the Red Trillium on the wind saying "come to me Rick." 

Blasted Trillium, leave me alone !!!

Anywho. :)

Seven Springs is very quiet this time of year. 

033.jpg
035.jpg
037.jpg

As I plodded up the ridge/through Seven Springs I eventually came to a structure on the trail that wasn't present the last time I was up here. 

I am not sure if someone was practicing bushcraft or maybe building a future home but nevertheless it caught my attention.

Come to think of it maybe the chipmunks were building a night club.

Hmmmm... 

038.jpg

Eventually I made my way to Grindle Ridge and set-up camp for the night.

039.jpg

This was an uneventful evening that pretty much consisted of my hanging of a bear bag and checking my eyelids for holes.

Friday:

So I wake up all bright eyed and bushy tailed to be greeted by a new friend. 

044.jpg

Tweety and I had a really good conversation and then parted ways.

I am on trail once again making my way to the rt 653 shelters. This pack seems to be acquaintances with Big Blue. Once again I received the whining from my back saying "I need a break, blah blah blah."

After taking an ear beating for a bit I succumb to the unrelenting complaining and eventually give in.

048.jpg

As Big Blue's cousin took a nap I looked around the area and it looked as though the ferns were slowly awakening from their slumber.

049.jpg

Eventually the trail will be over-taken by them and it will somewhat look like Jurassic Park. 

I eventually come to a section of rock slots and notice that someone wasn't a fan of their Dr. Scholl's footwear.

051.jpg

...I wonder if the individual that left them there hiked out Cody Lundin style. 

That would be seriously hard on the dogs. 

I decided to snag up a photo of one of the numerous rock slots on the trail. 

052.jpg

As I made my way through the rock slot I once again encountered the evil Trillium but this time the White & Red combined powers to form the extremely powerful Painted Trillium.

053.jpg

After a long drawn out battle with temptation I stood my ground and prevailed over the powerful Painted Trillium. 

No more flower power for me. 

I then made my way to the Middlebrook overlook. 

059.jpg

Once again I utilized this time to have a bite to eat. Seems like I eat a lot now that I think about it. 

Must be the side effects of the Trillium from day 1. 

I then pass Dietz cemetery which is near rt653.

063.jpg

...and then make my way into the rt653 shelter area. 

I called it a night very early because I was getting up at 2:30am to get a head start on trail. The next days trek was somewhat of a long slog and the terrain was fun for a lack of better terms.

Saturday:

...Or should I say morning of the spider?

As planned I woke up at 2:30am so I could get an early start on trail. 

There was an over-abundance of spiders this morning.

064.jpg
071.jpg

These blasted eight legged pains in the rear end were everywhere. In my boots, in my pack, etc etc...

It was somewhat annoying but I just kinda laughed at the whole thing. 

So after I "eradicate" all of my eight legged friends I pack up all of my gear and get on my way at around 3:45am. 

I eventually run into an old friend while doing a lil low light early morning trekking.

SIMON !!!

074.jpg

After chatting with Simon for a few we say our goodbyes and go our separate ways. 

As I continued along I ran into a bunch of whitetail deer hair on the trail but nothing else, no bones, or any other type of remains for that matter. 

076.jpg

It was somewhat of an odd scene. The hair looked as though it was just shaved off. 

I also found one lonely glove on the trail. I bet someone was missing this when the temps dropped.

077.jpg

I then make my way to the midway point of this section of my trek-Cranberry Glade Lake.

078.jpg
079.jpg

I decided to sit at the lake and "veg out" for a bit. After awhile I decided it was time I get on my way. The Ohiopyle shelter area was calling. 

If any of you have read my previous trip report from last July I was hammered with a flurry of back to back to back storms when I approached the ridge above the Ohiopyle shelter area. 

Well, I can say the weather was beautiful which gave me the opportunity to spend a lil time at the vista at the top of the ridge.

083.jpg

After I chomp down an orange staring off into the horizon I made my way to the Ohiopyle shelter area. 

Nothing really interesting happened at this point other than me setting up camp. 

All of the shelters were rented out and this area was quite busy. 

I did meet a gentleman who was in his late 50s that was fairly new too hiking/backpacking and was going for the the whole 70. He was asking me about water along the trail and other various question in regards to the trail itself. 

He also showed me his trekking poles which consisted of 2 paint poles from Lowe's with handles and tips that he made. 

He then picked up one of my Leki's and was asking me various questions about them. 

He really seemed to like them and honestly I had to fight the urge to not give them to him but I feared that if I did he may take my act of kindness as an insult towards the poles that he was so proud of.

I have no idea how they would work but if they worked for him then that was all that mattered right?

Part of me wishes I would have offered him my poles(I kinda want a new pair anyways) so maybe I will see what I can do to get his addy from DCNR from his registration and maybe shoot them to him via Fed-ex or something as a surprise.

He was a really nice guy. 

So after our conversations I feed my face and hit the sack. I was gassed.

Sunday:

The next morning I was greeted by Mr. Toad.

084.jpg

I packed up my gear, and then walked around the shelter area looking to see if there was anything that needed addressed. 

I ended up stripping down a large deadfall tree limb that was blocking access to a camping area and moved it out of the way. 

I then drank a bit of coffee, ate some peanut butter, and got on my way. 

This is a pretty rough section of trail(a lot of ups & downs.) There is also quite a few streams on this section of trail.

085.jpg
089.jpg

On the way out there are quite a few switchbacks and it looks as though someone decided to shorten the distance by blazing their own trail.

090.jpg

More switchbacks.

095.jpg

I slowly make my way down the last of the "big hills" and stop to take a shot of Sugarloaf Mountain.

105.jpg

Another shot of the view from the ridge.

112.jpg

Then I make yet another descent...

...as you know that which goes down typically goes back up so more switchbacks.

Woo-hoo !!!

At one point their is this sign.

120.jpg

I have always scratched my head at this sign being you are already on the trail but I suppose this is to cut down on the confusion and keep some folks who are not all that familiar with the trail from unintentionally bushwhacking. 

I dunno. It is about the only rational conclusion I can come up with. 

After a few more miles I am almost in Ohiopyle. 

I noticed this on a large rock. 

121.jpg

I have never noticed this before and found it quite interesting. I may have to do a bit of research and find out what this is about. 

No sooner than I notice that I look down and see SIMON IS BACK !!!

122.jpg

He just wanted to say goodbye and tell me not to stay away for as long as I did this time until I make my next trip back. 

I make my way down to the last over-look of Sugarloaf and the Yough river.

125.jpg
127.jpg

Pretty purple flowers(still resisting the urge to sniff.) 

131.jpg

I also noticed something that kind of bothered me a bit.

The Eastern Tent Caterpillar.

132.jpg

Well I am getting to flatland. It is all coming to an end. :(

135.jpg

I still have a chance. I can turn back now.

136.jpg

Too bad I had to be up for that thing called work Monday morning at 5am or I just may have turned around and kept on going. 

Well that is a wrap.

137.jpg

Over-all it was a really great trip. Weather was calling for a 40% chance of rain everyday I was up there but other than some rain at night it was pretty smooth sailing. 

The biggest concern I had was how the boots I just recently bought would perform and I have to say they worked extremely well. 

So well I didn't even need liners. 

Not a single blister; not even a hotspot. 

I did run into quite a few folks on trail. One individual in particular I actually hiked a section with which was quite enjoyable and a break from my usual solo trekking that I always seem to do. 

I met quite a few runners that were getting dialed in for the upcoming 70 mile ultra. 

I also handed out quite a few TS stickers and spread a bit of Trailspace cheer. 

Maybe some of which will check our little community out. ;)

Anywho, enough of my rambling. 

Thanks for taking the time to look at my trip report. 

Hopefully it doesn't take me anywhere near as long to post another.

Happy hiking.

-Rick

7:51 a.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Yay Rick! A very pretty place, and you had lovely weather. Happy to hear that your new boots were friendly, too.

I am smiling at your critter pictures. You remind me of me. Another reason why I solo, probably...I'm not sure how many people would have the patience. "Stop! Look!"  "What? What is it?"  "It's a BUG!" :)

12:28 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I never rush my trips. I guess this is one of the reasons I haven't moved over to the UL side of things.

I take my time to absorb everything around me.

If I am only concerned with covering ground in shortest amount of time possible then chances are I am going to miss out on a lot.

To me the little things are what makes the trip.

3:58 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

So glad you were able to get out a bit, my friend! 

I've only been able to fit in a few short walks in the woods since last October. I did get out for an overnighter while deer hunting in December, though. 

But, that's about to change, I'll be getting out for a three nighter in a week and a half, woot! 

You got some nice photos. I really like some of the ones towards the end of your trip. 

The deer hair thing was odd. 

4:18 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great trip report Rick, thanks for sharing the experience. Taking the time to actually look around and take in the beauty that surrounds you is so much better than "putting in miles". I found a similar deer find in the U.P. of Michigan in the Porcupine Wilderness. Just hair. No bones, blood, or carcass. Never figured it out either.

4:25 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

The deer hair is weird, isn't it? If a dead deer was there long enough to lose its fur, it seems unlikely that scavengers would be able to remove all other traces of it. My guess is that it's somebody's winter coat. He or she lay down and squirmed around til most of it came off. Usually you see this on and below nice scratchy tree trunks though...moose do the same thing.

Rick, I totally hear you on the stop-and-smell-the-trilliums style of hiking. Remember the 'slow food' fad a few years back? I propose we start a 'slow hiking' movement. HYOH, for sure, but I really do not get the speed hiking thing. Yes, they may see five hills to my two. But I saw mosses, flowers, birds, field mice, toads, butterflies, etc etc on my walk. Seems to me that hopping on a treadmill with a pine scented air freshener in front of a panoramic photo would be a reasonable facsimile of the speed hike. :)

5:28 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Great Trip Report Rick..Reminds me to schedule a long hike In Penn. Hope the data you got on your boots make it towards a review...

6:33 p.m. on May 21, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Looks like good times

9:58 a.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Congratulations on your hike Rick!

So, maybe, uh, you could get me a couple of those Trilliums? You know....for strictly medicinal use!

2:35 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

Trillium leaves are edible you know (tastes like sunflower seeds).

The root promotes menstration so be careful Seth. (!!???)

5:56 p.m. on May 22, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@ Gonz- Thanks man. I needed this trip in a major way. Granted it wasn't my favorite season but all the same I had a blast. 

@ in2snow- I agree. I mean don't get me wrong; if somone's goal is to knock out 50 miles in 2 days then hey by all means have at it. There is no right or wrong. 

All that matters is one gets out there and smells the Trillium. ;)

@ denis- Where in Rocksylvania ya headed? Oh and don't worry I will most certainly be pumping out a review on these boots in time. 

They did great this trip but that is only one trip. I definitely want to put a bit more mileage on them before I give my assessment of them. 

@ FStS- most certainly was... much neeed good times at that. 

@ Seth- Sure no problem there is more than enough around here to spare. :p

@ Patman- Now that there was funny. 

8:57 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

The root promotes menstration so be careful Seth. (!!???)

Bahahahaha! 

11:22 a.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,828 reviewer rep
260 forum posts

Nice report, Rick! I really enjoyed the flower pictures. The Sugarloaf lookout is beautiful!

8:56 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

rick,good review.i figured you would be the one to ask about quehanna,have you got any advice,opinions.

9:09 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Any reccomendations on trails.

5:26 p.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
1,347 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Finally on the trails again? Good job, and a nice hike, Rick.

7:34 a.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

Good thing you didn't fall down any rabbit holes!  Between the Trillium, Alice, and that catapillar, you might still be out there singing your own version of White Rabbit.

Ed

8:45 p.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@ Ashleigh- Glad ya enjoyed the flower pics as much as I enjoyed taking them(and the euphoric sense that came along with it. :)

The Sugarloaf vista is a really sweet spot but kind of a downer being it signals the end of a trip if one is headed sobo. 

@ Unk- I am familiar with Quehanna but not to the extent that I feel I could give advice on the best spots.

I will throw a Hail Mary out to a few buddies and see what they suggest being they live in the area and are pretty avid outdoors folk. 

@ denis- What type of trip are you looking to do? 

@ Peter- Thank. I am glad to finally be able to post one(the scenery up your way still makes me drool.)

@ Ed- Odd that you should mention rabbit holes being I was actually looking for them. 

...and now for your listening (and viewing pleasure:) 

Maybe my next tr will have a smoking caterpillar in it. :p

11:45 a.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Three days in Nov or Dec! Pm me what your thinking...

3:00 p.m. on June 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

nice trip report, rick. I liked the critters! will your caterpillar be smoking trillium?

7:27 p.m. on June 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@ denis- let me give that a lil thought. Maybe we can meet up. @ Trailjester- bah ha ha ha ha ha... ...probably. ;)

10:56 a.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

I was thinking maybe the Laurel Highlands looks like a good trail for 3 to 4 days.I don;t have any info on it.They have a net or a webpage? Where it at ect..

11:03 a.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis, let me get to my desktop and I will shoot you some links on this thread. As far as trail specifics go I think I can get ya pretty dialed in.

12:49 p.m. on June 15, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis here are those links I previously referred too. 

DCNR's link:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/lhht/

The above will keep ya dialed into the ins & outs on the LHHT as well as the water situations at the shelter areas(hand pumps working, etc) which is listed under advisories.)

The following is a buddies page that has a lot of valuable info on the trail from a backpacker's perspective:

http://www.shol.com/featheredprop/lhht_info.htm

If you have any other questions you know where to find me. 

I get notifications of personal messages here or FB fairly rapidly via mobile so if there is anything I can help ya out with just let me know and I will do what I can. 

9:15 a.m. on June 16, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Great trip report Rick!

I really enjoyed reading it and seeing all the cool photos, please tell Simon I said Hi, I guess he's still using snail mail. 

10:02 a.m. on June 16, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, I will pass the message along to Simon in the next few weeks. I am going to spending quite a bit of time with him. ;)

10:56 p.m. on June 16, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Thanks for the links Rick.They answered alot of my questions.

11:29 p.m. on June 16, 2013 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Never a problem.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply