Mitchell Peak, Jennie Lakes Wilderness

12:08 a.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

Mitchell Peak, which is in Jennie Lakes Wilderness next to SEKI, has been in the back of my mind ever since I went by it in 2006 on a trans-sierra backpacking trip.  However, because the visible prominence from the west is not very significant (it looks more like a nub on the edge of the sierra high country, it's only 10,365') I have not made it a priority.

Today I decided to give it a shot.  I needed to start getting into shape for bigger trips this summer, and Mitchell Peak is a relatively light hike - just over three miles from the trailhead, with just under 2000' vertical.  Normally it would not be accessible this early in the year, but with the very low snowfall last winter the roads are all open.

Two hours after leaving Visalia I reached the Marvin Pass trailhead and headed up.  At that elevation (trailhead is 8410') it is primarily red fir forest.  The latin name for red fir is Abies Magnifica, and that is an apt name.  The tallest in Sequoia NP is 251'.  Here are some samples of what most of the hike looked like:

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4486.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

IMG_4371.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

The one snow plant that I saw today

IMG_4374.jpg

12:22 a.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

Finally, close to the top, it got rockier and the red firs gave way to lodgepole pines

IMG_4380.jpg

And a short distance farther, the top

IMG_4383.jpg

Technically, Mitchell Peak is not above the local treeline.  But not much grows on granite boulders.

There is a triangulation station marker there

IMG_4394.jpg

and the corresponding reference marker

IMG_4395.jpg

It was here that I realized that I had been missing out on a real gem all this time.  The lighting was very poor, with a high thin overcast and hazy air, so the picture quality is low...but here they are.  First, looking west toward the valley.  You can see the concrete platform where there used to be a fire tower

IMG_4453.jpg

Northeast toward the lower part of Kings Canyon, the deepest canyon in North America

IMG_4432.jpg

North toward the northern part of Kings Canyon NP; the most prominent peak on the horizon is Mt Goddard

IMG_4434.jpg

Northeast, you can see the Palisade Crest on the horizon on the left edge.  I climbed the leftmost peak in that crest a few years ago

IMG_4435.jpg

East toward the hear of Kings Canyon NP

IMG_4466.jpg

Southeast toward the Great Western Divide

IMG_4464.jpg

SSE toward the southern boundary of Kings Canyon NP, you can see the Kaweahs on the horizon on the right (my two favorite ridgelines in SEKI are the Palisade Crest and the Kaweahs, I got up close and personal with the Kaweahs last year and crossed them just in front of the group of three highest points that you can see)

IMG_4470.jpg

And finally, south toward Mt Silliman

IMG_4477.jpg

I found the views to be stunning, I need to go back when the lighting is better for pictures.  For how little effort it took to get there, this is a top notch hike!  It only took me 1 hour 50 minutes to get to the top, even as out of shape as I am.  I would recommend this hike to anyone who loves sweeping vistas that don't take all day to reach.

11:40 a.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great TR and photos, looks like a gorgeous hike.

11:40 a.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great TR and photos, looks like a gorgeous hike.

12:13 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,078 forum posts

Sugarpine,

A. magnifica is named right.  The Park is a forester's dream.  I have found some old growth red fir on the far east side of Lassen NP, and it is one of my favorites along with sugar pine and ponderosa of course.

I just returned from Seattle and Anacortes, WA and the giant Douglas fir trees and bald eagles.

2:35 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

Wow, John what a cool trip!Just beautiful......

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply