Granite Mountain, minor epic included

4:24 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

No sunscreen or bug repellent required!!

Each year we try to day hike up Granite Mountain (5,629 ft, 3,800 ft elevation gain, 6-8 miles RT depending on route) near Snoqualmie Pass as a warm up for the season.  This year my oldest decided to sit it out but her little sister picked up her ice axe and came along for her first time in the snow fields.  

#2 and #3 at the TH, its early, they slept on the way. #2 is rockin' the TS cap.
IMG_0512.jpg

The weather window closed up and was pretty much gone by the time the day came and the views were a little disappointing.

The view
IMG_0518.jpg

The entire day was characterized by a steady drizzle/mist that kept us damp but thanks to modern fabrics and vigorous movement, we stayed warm. 

The most decent view all day
IMG_0522.jpg

The hill
IMG_0532.jpg

We ditched the trail and went straight up an old avalanche chute in the snow.  This is the mountain where a Seattle-area dentist and a woman were killed in April by a huge avalanche that swooped down the mountain at over 55mph.  We saw television sized granite blocks hanging suspended in trees over twenty yards from the avy chute, this was a big one.  Of course the snow we walked on was completely consolidated but I still carried a shovel anyway. 

Up the gully
IMG_0521.jpg

We gained the summit ridge after some boulder scrambling and headed up to the fire lookout, obscured by the clouds. Walking within grabbing distance of my daughter on the way up the summit ridge and staying in the boot-pack I had to toss a snowball a couple times to find the cornice edge in the fog.

Summit ridge at its clearest
IMG_0538.jpg

A fantastic surprise, the lookout was open for the weekend by volunteers!  Chuck, the USFS volunteer showed the kids how the Osbourne Fire Finder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_Fire_Finder )  worked and some other cool info.  This was their first visit inside a lookout tower.  We hung out with Chuck and talked about mountains, weather and the recent avalanches in the area.  I think we overdid the avalanche talk because my daughter was a little sketched out after that when we walked the summit ridge and looked at the cornices and recent point release slides in the area.  On the bright side, she was proud to learn a ton of new vocabulary words such as avalanche, corn (as it applies to snow), cornice, glissade, self-arrest, crevasse, summit, etc.    

Lookout
IMG_0542.jpg

We quit steaming and got chilled talking with Chuck and went back down to the packs where the kids put on their hats, mitts and puffies under their storm shells.  I tried to get them to take some of it off for a picture but the wind and blowing drizzle convinced them to refuse. 

Summit
IMG_0551.jpg

Wind picked up
IMG_0552.jpg

Refueled after lunch.
IMG_0555.jpg

Dad.
IMG_0557.jpg

We practiced self arrest and #3 got to try her first glissade, with variable results:

#2 demonstrating the proper glissade:
IMG_0573.jpg

First attempt at self-arrest after a glissade by #3.  Kind of a yard sale, helmet came unbuckled, ice-axe dropped.  Gentle runouts are a life-saver! She got better.
IMG_0575.jpg

The kids said they were smiling, the lookout is 40 feet behind us mid picture, you'll have to trust me on that. 
IMG_0560.jpg

I thought we’d save some time by snow-running down one of the snow chutes (we had agreed to quit calling them avalanche chutes) in order to lose some fast elevation on the way back to the car. As it turned out I took us down the wrong chute and we had to bushwhack about 100 yards (took most of an hour) through vine maple and slash alder and across a couple rushing streams to get us back to the trail.  This sounds easy and the pictures don’t do it justice but it was a soaking wet epic.  I am proud to say that the kids soldiered on and made it through in good (and forgiving) spirits.  At one point I had to lower an accessory cord and assist them out of a little gully I had climbed with my ice axe. 

This stuff sucks!
IMG_0580.jpg

Afterwards I congratulated the kids and told them, “Now you know how hard things can get and that you can still make it when they do.”

I didn’t mention my son much but it was his third time here and he has done a decent amount of summits with me and took the role of path-finder on the way up.  He has the makings of a mountaineer. 

Sometimes you can't wait till nice weather.

4:33 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great trip report, that is definately quality time with the family. Sounds like they had a blast.

5:49 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
183 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

Great report! I love all that snow/ice/mountain stuff.

Trips are always better when you need special gear like an ice axe.

9:24 p.m. on May 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
26 forum posts

Man that looks like a blast. I would say all of your kids have the fast track so becoming mountaineers. Awesome day with much knowledge and skill being learned......all while having a lot of fun! Thanks for the report.

6:34 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Excellent report Jeff! Way to do it!

7:18 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,333 reviewer rep
628 forum posts

Awesome! Did you get to use the heirloom ax?

9:34 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Excellent! Keep on being an awesome dad, Sage! 

9:40 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,776 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Nice report, Jeff! It looks like y'all had a blast!

9:52 a.m. on May 29, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,097 forum posts

Awesome tripreport. Great to see kids enjoying the outdooors...

5:28 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Nice! Looks like you made the best of a gray day. So much in common between the Cascades and the Norwegian mtns. -- including the weather. I think it's especially good that you are doing self arrest practice with your kids-- if a kid's going to carry an ice axe (s)he ought to know how to use it!

12:04 p.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Thanks all.

BigRed said:

if a kid's going to carry an ice axe (s)he ought to know how to use it!

If the Cascades resemble those in Norge then maybe I can quit feeling so envious.

I didn't think there was another option.

2:53 p.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

The Cascades are gorgeous, and much wilder than the Norwegian mountains. I took a NOLS course there many years ago, climbed Glacier peak and covered a lot of territory. And passed through all to briefly on a road trip in 2011. The envy is mutual!

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply