Birthday ski trip with (Trailspace beanie)

12:59 p.m. on June 6, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

My new Trailspace beanie arrived just in time – the day before my birthday. I like to use my June birthday to get in one last ski day, weather permitting. We had a green light forecast -- clouds in the morning, breaking up in the afternoon -- so my wife, daughter, dog and I headed out after supper on my birthday eve for the 4.5 hour drive from Trondheim to Romsdalen. We arrived at the lovely little campground below and across the Rauma River from the Troll Wall at about 10:45 PM, still more than half an hour before sunset. After all that time in the car, Ralph seemed about as happy as I was to be there.
The-boys-at-Trollveggen-Camping.jpg

This campground has a little tenting ground well away from the cabins and RVs and on a flat terrace that sits high above the river, with an out-the-door view of the Troll Wall and its enormous talus slope running right down to the raging river.
Choice-tent-site.jpg
Ralph-wants-to-visit.jpg

My daughter has her own tent, but Ralph gets to stay with us.
Getting-comfy.jpg

We took it slow in the morning, which in our case meant a 9 AM departure, after coffee and granola and a birthday present from my wife.

Birthday-breakfast.jpg

We drove up the famous hairpin turns of Trollstigen, a mountain road that ascends to over 700 meters (photo taken in the afternoon).
IMG_8086.jpg

Normally there’s still plenty of snow through June right down to the road up there, but we had a low snow year and a record warm May, so we had to walk a short distance along a trail to get to the first snow stripes. Our original goal was Finnan, a 1700 meter peak, but the good snow sort of led us more in the direction of Alnestind (1665 m) (I’ve done them once each on previous birthdays).
Ascening-above-Trollstigen.jpg

It was still cloudy and cool, and my daughter said she didn’t feel up for the climb, so the women went down after a few hundred meters of climbing. 
Under-Bispen.jpg
I joined forces with a fellow from Lillehammer who was also (otherwise) going solo.Things got pretty white now and then on the way up, but the clouds came and went and we just kept on going.
IMG_8068.jpg

It gets a tab bit steep up near the top of the slope leading up to the ridge, but once it rounds off there’s only about 50 meters flat to get to the summit cairn.  Here's a summit selfie:
Summit-selfie.jpg

The clouds started to break up as we stripped off our skins, beginning with peek-a-boo views in different directions.
Clearing.jpg

We got a nice view under the clouds down towards Innfjorden.Towards-Innfjorden.jpg

And by the time we headed down things were really opening up.

Turn-with-a-view.jpg

The descent took all of 15 minutes, and we were able to stay on snow right down to the road, to just a few hundred meters walk back to the parking area. In the morning we had stopped briefly to check out the new low profile gift shop / cafeteria building at the top of Trollstigen, which replaces a couple of pretty shabby tourist traps that were there before so it’s actually a change for the better. On the way back up past thewe stopped at the also new roadside Troll Wall  visitor center for a cup of coffee and a teeny weeny birthday cupcake…

Teeny-birthday-cupcake.jpg

…followed an hour or so later by a fly-by fancy dinner at the Skifer (slate) Hotel in the ski town of Oppdal.

Birthday-dinner.jpg

We even got home and unloaded in time to watch a few episodes of our current favorite TV series. Now that’s what I call a happy birthday! Thanks, Trailspace, for a very nice birthday present – as you can see I really like it!

Here's a map of the tour:

Tour-map.jpg

2:03 p.m. on June 6, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

Belated Happy Day Red!

I love the report....

3:44 p.m. on June 6, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

Happy Birthday Red...cool beanie also

Nothing like good food and a drink after a great day of fun.

11:48 a.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

happy Belated!!! Great trip thanks for sharing the mountains..

1:04 p.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Gratuler med dagen Red! Fun looking trip. It seems like the skies only clear up after you descend sometimes.

3:14 p.m. on June 7, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,160 forum posts

That looks like a great way to spend one's birthday! Glad you had such a beautiful day, and that the beanie arrived in time.

Your dog is super cute too.

2:44 p.m. on June 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

now you just have to teach your dog to ski!

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply