About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

River hike in Japan

12:15 a.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

I finally got a chance to do an overnighter a couple weeks back--my first one of the summer season. With the wet weather and humidity in June, the trees were showing their full greenery and all the streams were flowing. Below are some of the shots of the river gorge I hiked along.

DSC_0128.jpg

Here's a shot from the ridge line, before I headed down into the river valley. It's all water pictures from here guys..

DSC_0144.jpg
A little bit of sunshine made it through the thick overhead, lighting up this little waterfall.

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg
Down at the river and my campsite for the night. I posted a similar shot from a hike I did here back in the fall.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

It's the second day, and here's the trail I followed as I headed upstream.

DSC_0171.jpg
Looking down at the river as the stream narrows.

DSC_0173.jpg

The terrain gets rougher and the trail drops to the river. From this point on it's kind of find your own way type hiking.

DSC_0182.jpg

Hurray(?), a brand new trail sign! These weren't here when I hiked the trail back in November, apparently they've had problems with people getting lost in the area...

DSC_0185.jpg
Beautiful crystal-clear water.

DSC_0187.jpg

The tadpoles seem to be enjoying it...

DSC_0188.jpg

The trail is really rough here in this nice little clearing. Looks like there was a rock slide on the left of the photo, which partially covered the trail. There's a small waterfall in the distance, and the trail seems to head for that.

DSC_0189.jpg
Got this good shot of a frog about to take the plunge. I almost stepped on this guy since he really blended in with the rocks. Adaptation!

DSC_0194.jpg
Little falls around every bend it seems.

DSC_0197.jpg

Looking upstream as I cross the river, lots of rock-hopping today.

DSC_0199.jpg
Little rock cairns point the way uphill.

DSC_0204.jpg

Looking down at a deep pool in the river.

DSC_0206.jpg

After a steep climb, I reached the top of a waterfall, the highest on the trail. I'm guessing it's at least a 30 drop to the river. Very jungle-like in this area.

DSC_0207.jpg

Finally reached higher and drier ground.

DSC_0216.jpg

My goal for the day off in the distance; it's really clouding up now.

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

Near the top, drenched in sweat, but not much of a view...

DSC_0222.jpg

And here's the summit post.

DSC_0223.jpg

I followed this tree-covered, hazy ridge down to the bus stop, about a 2 hour knee-buster. Stopped for lunch and a water resupply at a stream about halfway down. A very scenic hike overall, if you don't mind slightly wet boots!

5:37 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
531 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

very nice photos, looks like a beautiful place to hike

8:23 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,116 forum posts

hey thanks bigup! great report as usual....

It is remarkable to me how similar some of the Japanese wilderness is to your home state (and my stomping grounds). Except of course that Japan has some much taller peaks and more exposure to serious weather.

10:14 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Thanks for the comments.

Patman: It really is very similar to western NC/east TN, especially here in central Japan. It's funny because when I'm hiking here I start missing the trails in NC, but when I'm back in NC I often miss the trails in Japan. Not such a bad dilemma I guess!

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply