My bike tour from Flagstaff to Utah in April

6:56 p.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,243 forum posts

I finally got a memory card reader for my old memory photo stick and I worked on the pictures last evening.

From Flagstaff I rode up to the Little Colorado River which is 50 miles northeast, then I rode to the main Colorado with a little hitch-Biking as I was riding against a head wind so I stuck out my thumb when cars went by. I got a ride from a area called the Gap near the Echo Cliffs to Bitter Springs, then rode down to the Colorado River and up to House Rock before starting to Hitch-Bike again against the wind and go a ride to Kanab Utah and rode on up and over to Mount Carmel and the Thunderbird Lodge where I applied for a job I had in 2005-06, got hired and have been working ever since April 16th.

The following images are from the Little Colorado River near Cameron AZ and the main Colorado River where Navajo Bridge crosses it.

My-bike-on-the-north-side-of-the-Little-

My touring bike on hwy 89 near Cameron AZ

The-Little-Colorado-at-Cameron-AZ.jpg

The Little Colorado River looking northwest where it flows towards the Grand Canyon and the main Colorado River 56 miles away.

San-Francisco-Peaks-from-north-US-89-nor

The San Francisco Peaks behind me about 50 miles away, Sunset Crater is the mountain on the left.

Sunset-light-on-the-Vermillion-Cliffs-AZ

Just before sunset I arrived at a small Indian trading post and sat up camp. This is the Vermillion Cliffs that are on the opposite side of the Colorado River where I will be the next day.

Vermillion-Cliffs-at-sun-rise-AZ.jpg

Sunrise on the same Vermillion Cliffs

Sun-rise-on-the-Vermillion-Cliffs-2.jpg

Looking farther SW along the sun rise on the cliffs

Sunrise-on-the-Vermillion-Cliffs-az.jpg

This is the northern end of the Echo Cliffs which are on the east side of the Colorado River

View-of-Colorado-River-from-Navajo-Bridg

Looking north on the Colorado River from Navajo Bridge.

The-Colorado-River-looking-north-from-th

My-bike-on-Navajo-Bridge-AZ-over-the-Col

My bike on Navajo Bridge over the Colorado River

House-Rock-road-AZ-off-hwy-89.jpg

From the Colorado River at Navajo Bridge I rode as far as The House Rock Road . The long ridge in the distance is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

The-Vermillion-Cliffs-near-House-Rock-Va

Looking back from House Rock Valley towards the Vermillion Cliffs on the left and the Echo Cliffs to the right

From here I Hitch-Biked to Kanab Utah and rode on to where I am now.

6:13 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,425 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

LOL! You're using kitty litter buckets as panniers!

My first thought is, "Perfectly water tight."

My second thought is, "How are you attaching those to your bike?"

6:24 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
460 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Great photos!  Bike touring/Randonneuring is something that HIGHLY intrigues me.  I recently found a pristine 85 Trek 720 with all original components on Craigslist.  I had to pull the trigger.  I'm now debating whether to setup new components on it.. or to keep the original Sachs/Huret system.  On a side note, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know! Thanks for sharing!

7:09 p.m. on July 14, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

cool pictures, Gary. Looks like you had a heck of a ride.

6:44 p.m. on July 15, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,243 forum posts

Jeffery,

I used L shaped shelf brackets bent over to attach to the top edge of the "Kitty Litter Pails" panniers. Then I hook this over the bike rack, the arrach a rubber bungie cord around it to hold it tight. 

Yes, they are water proof, hold about 4-5 liters of gear/food, make good seats and tables in camp and on the side of the road during breaks, also they a vermin proof, and cold things like water stay cooler in them during the day on long sunny routes.

The pails were $5 each from a person I knew in Tucson and I spent about $20 more on the reflective tape,shelf brackets etc.
Me-on-my-bike-before-leaving-Tucon-in-Ap

This image of me in Tucson last winter shows the kitty litter pails on the back and ex mayonaise buckets on the front. The kitty litter pails were already yellow and I painted the mayo buckets yellow to match. They are also great for grocery shopping. They each weigh about a pound so are not much heavier than nylon panniers and a lot cheaper.

I get a lot of strange looks from people and other tourists think they are a great way to recycle. Maybe someday this winter I will get into making them to sell.

11:35 a.m. on July 16, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,243 forum posts

IMG_0247.jpg

Close up shows my kitty litter pail pannier attached to my rear rack, you can see the shelf brackets bent over the rack and the black bungie strap around the pannier. The striped and red reflector tape is about all I added and the flamed duct tape on the top. I like the kitty litter pail as the lid has a hinge where the duct tape is.

IMG_0248.jpg

This shows the pannier on the bike. I put it on backwards as the red reflector is supposed to be facing back. I used it this morning to go get my mail/groceries. I left the bails on them so I can carry them easily

3:00 p.m. on July 16, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great trip report and pics Gary. Excellent engineering of the pannier's...well done! 

October 30, 2014
Quick Reply