About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Baxter State Park ME July Chimney-Davis-Russell loop

1:46 p.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
853 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

Baxter State Park July 21-25 2013

Planned Itinerary

Day 1: Enter via Togue Pond Gatehouse (South entry)  Park at Roaring Brook camp and climb Chimney Pond Trail 3.8 miles to Chimney Pond.

Day 2: Saddle Trail up to tablelands 1.4 miles NW Basin Trail to Davis Pond 3.2 miles

Bonus Option 1: Baxter Peak 2 miles rt

Bonus Option 2: Hamlin Peak .7 miles rt

Day 3: NW Basin Trail from Davis Pond to Russell Pond est 5.3 miles

Day 4: Russell Pond Trail to Wassataquoick Stream Trail to Wass Stream LTs est 1.8 miles

Bonus Option: Ledge Falls 1 mile rt / Grand Falls 4 miles rt

Day 5: Wassataquoick Stream LTs to Roaring Brook camp est 5.8 miles.

This trip is basically a repeat of one I did with my nephew last June that kicked my butt. This time I knew what to expect and was better prepared for it. If I can find a new victim partner next year I will probably do it again as I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of some of the spots along the way.

Disclaimer: All mileage is based on BSP signs and may bear no relation to actual distances. It also includes BSP terrain and may bear no relation to your preconceived notions of distance.

Day 1: We drove up from the mid-coast area and arrived at the parking lot by about noon. Roaring Brook camp is a car accessible campground and parking area for day hikers and campers accessing a network of trails. We were lucky enough to find an empty spot and stopped to scarf down some sandwiches my wife was nice enough to send along with us then signed in at the ranger station.

IMG_1286.jpg

Just a minute down the main trail we came to our turn off towards Mt Katahdin.

IMG_1287.jpg

This trail sees a huge amount of traffic during the Summer, mostly a mass of day hikers bagging the peak, so they have built a few of these bridge sections to protect the gullies from erosion. After last months trip to the North part of the park where we saw no footprints and were hard pressed to tell the difference between the trail and bushwhacking I couldn’t help but laugh at this.

IMG_1288.jpg

A peek at Roaring Brook along the trail. Pretty tame at this water level but still sounded nice.

IMG_1289.jpg

This trail is a nice warm up for the trip, not very long and only about 1500’ of net elevation but lots of rocks to get your feet ready to work the next few days.

IMG_1292.jpg

Still a bit below Chimney Pond. A nice view of the wooded side of Pamola with the Knife’s Edge just beyond.

IMG_1295.jpg

Our first good look at Baxter from this side.  I love the feeling of knowing that I’m not going up there today, but tomorrow I just might

IMG_1297.jpg

Chimney Pond. No foot washing here!  They have an outflow pond beyond the bunkhouse for that.  This tiny pond has to slack the thirst of an awful lot of hikers before the snows fill it back up again.

IMG_1300.jpg

The Dudley Trail follows that ridge up to Pamola where it intersects with the Helon Taylor before the start of the Knife’s Edge.

IMG_1301.jpg

The ranger station looking up from Chimney Pond. You can see their solar array to power their radio systems. This camp has 9 LTs and an 8 man bunkhouse which are easily accessible and usually filled to capacity the whole season. These rangers have a great spot but a tough job to do there.  We were blessed with a nice quiet crowd this year, but last year there was a lot of late night noise. 

IMG_1304.jpg

I traveled a bit lighter on this trip just bringing a bug net. My partner in crime opted to use his 1 man tent without poles as a bivy

IMG_1313.jpg

These are just as I snapped them, no edits. I didn’t know what would show up in the camera and while this doesn’t really do the moment justice it does give you some idea of what the sunset did to the mountains.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

Day 2

Sunrise also did some nice things to them

IMG_1318.jpg

We got an early start with ambitions of hitting one or both peaks if we got to the Saddle in good enough time. The first mile is a moderate ascent via a pretty rocky trail.  The treeline here blends into low bush and the heat of climbing combined with some small runoff channels made things pretty humid.

IMG_1320.jpg

We started being rewarded with some views and the occasional puff of breeze as we started to climb above the brush.

IMG_1321.jpg

Then we hit the bottom of the Saddle Slide;  less than a half mile of trail left according to the park signs. 

IMG_1324.jpg

The signs can’t convey the joy of schlepping a full pack up this trail

IMG_1327.jpg

Nice views though. If you look closely you can see a trail crew member chasing us up the rocks

IMG_1329.jpg

Can you see that victory smile? This rock pile kicked my butt last year and left me with a scar on my wrist but not this trip!

IMG_1336.jpg

We’d made great time so far and since it was only a mile in the wrong direction we opted to hit Baxter

IMG_1337.jpg

We met a nice thruhike couple at the peak enjoying a whoopie pie so once we’d taken some pics for them they offered to take one for us

IMG_1349.jpg

Some haze but still nice views from the top

IMG_1338.jpg

Knife’s Edge from above

IMG_1343.jpg

Chimney Pond from above

IMG_1344.jpg

Looking across the top of Cathedrals towards Hamlin

IMG_1346.jpg

Tablelands. I took a lot of pics here but really, none of them do it justice, so I’ll just post the one.  It is a place you just have to be to actually see and there never seems to be enough time up there before you have to leave.

IMG_1358.jpg

Brothers to the left. NW Basin and Davis Pond to the right and the valley leading to Russell Pond in the middle.

IMG_1369.jpg

Some tough trail descending towards Davis Pond with Harvey Ridge looking bigger the farther down we went.  Steep and rocky sums it up I guess, but buggy and wet should probably be included.  There is a reward at the bottom though…

IMG_1372.jpg

Davis Pond

IMG_1380.jpg

Waterfall about half way down the ridge. There is another neat cascade when this flow finally reaches the pond but I’m always too tired at this point to walk to where you can get pics of it. Maybe next year

IMG_1379.jpg

Another of Baxter’s famous latrines

IMG_1384.jpg

Day 3

Last of my pics for a while. Rain started just before we left Davis and didn’t stop until after we reached Russell 5.5 hours later. I was glad I tucked my camera safely away and put my pack cover on

IMG_1386.jpg

Leaving Davis we climbed a bit at first, then crossed the edge of Lake Cowles before heading back down towards the stream which I think is technically an early branch of the Wassataquoik. The trail goes right into the water when you get there and follows the rock slab/stream for about a quarter of a mile. We were focused on keeping our boots out of the water and almost missed our exit.  The trail from here stayed under tree cover but the rain was coming steady now. 

The terrain alternates between rocky and muddy with plenty of up and down as we continued our descent towards the Wassataquoik crossing. We switched to water shoes as this one was an over the knee, very rocky one.  The water was actually painfully cold by the time I got half way and I was motivated to get out before my feet went numb.  Definitely not a good place to fall in heh.

The section after the crossing wasn’t as muddy as last year but still was a mess.  Last year we wore our water shoes for about half a mile and waded through the muck.  This year I put my boots back on and was able to avoid filling my boots with the stuff.  Once we cleared this muddy section the trail smoothed out with only a few minor crossings to rock hop.  This part always reminds me of the trails of my youth in WI and MI’s UP…buggy, damp, but comfy footing making it easy to go as fast as you please.

Five hours of rainy hike brought us to the Russell Pond outflow crossing which had much better rocks for hopping this year.  Last year everyone got wet feet thinking they could make it and this year we only had one boot get dipped.  Of course after all the rain I’m not sure it really mattered at this point heh.

We were happy to finally see Russell Pond camp and were looking forward to getting out of our wet clothes.

IMG_1399.jpg

Of course I’d reserved the most remote of the LTs and we still had some hiking to do.  Well worth the effort when we finally found the site

IMG_1388.jpg

Still a light rain falling at this point but I hopefully hung my trail clothes and pack cover while my partner enjoyed a well earned afternoon nap

IMG_1387.jpg

My new favorite Baxter latrine. Flow through bugs and pretty wet in the rain, but oh the views hehe

IMG_1393.jpg

Speaking of nature breaks…

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Day 4

Things started out sunny and then clouded over by the time we were ready to roll.  We took our time with coffee and breakfast as we only had a short hike for the day and we didn’t want to arrive at our next camp while its current residents were still there.

Clouds gathering over Russell Pond canoe racks and dock.  There are two LTs, one on either side of where I’m standing to take this shot.  Good spot if you have a larger group and intend to enjoy the pond.  Also a good moose spotting area.

IMG_1395.jpg

You can easily hike back out to Roaring Brook from here either directly or via the Wassataquoik Stream Trail but we were only going as far as the crossing and a LT there.

IMG_1398.jpg

Again this section reminds me of the trails I walked as a kid.  Lots of ferns, soft dirt under foot, but we didn’t have these nice trail bridges.  Russell Pond has a crew camp so the trails in this area get a lot of attention.

IMG_1400.jpg

We weren’t sure what this was so I grabbed a couple blurry pics.  It seemed like a fungus but there was this bee working it over. 

IMG_1405.jpg

This is the New City area. I’ve never dug into the history of it but some crazy folks seem to have tried to settle this area at one point.  There is a double bottom plow and several previously cleared areas along with an extra wide trail here, but nothing else remains

IMG_1406.jpg

Well some things remain I guess.  This doe seemed pretty disinterested in us.  I couldn’t get her to stop eating long enough to get her head in the pic so I have several of just her butt

IMG_1407.jpg

Another marvel of modern engineering.  If we’d had some of these on the June trip we could have at least used them to build a raft but even the trail crews don’t go up there heh.

IMG_1409.jpg

Trails up to the falls stay on this side of the stream so you can day hike from Russell without a water crossing unless you fall off a bridge

IMG_1411.jpg

View of Wassataquoik Stream crossing beyond our LT firepit

IMG_1413.jpg

With showers coming and going I opted to hang out around camp while my buddy decided to try the day hike up to the falls.  Here he is crossing back over towards the falls trails.

IMG_1416.jpg

This pub table didn’t get much use by us but the birds seemed to like it

IMG_1417.jpg

While the bees seemed to prefer this perch

IMG_1422.jpg

I considered breaking out my fishing gear, especially when I saw a few signs of things rising from a pool I had my eye on, but then opted to enjoy a juicebox of discount Cab Sav and take a few dozen pics of Russell Mountain in differing light.

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

These unnamed explorers spent some time deciding if they should cross here.  Once they finally reached the other side I shouted a warning to them about the second crossing before they put their boots back on. 

IMG_1425.jpg

The second crossing is just a tad too long to jump and having to take your boots off again so soon can lead to cussing so I felt it was worth my effort heh

IMG_1443.jpg

Day 5

Our last day started off with some great sun.  My partner slept in but I was up early guzzling coffee and taking pics.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Though we had private privy privileges this was not one of Baxter’s finest.  Even the open air design couldn’t help this heavily used one so I documented it from a safe distance for your protection.

IMG_1439.jpg

These ducks came paddling up stream while we had our breakfast.

IMG_1449.jpg

The trail out to Roaring Brook from here is either root, rock or mud for the most part.  Not much elevation change but lots of little hills and small drainages headed into the Wassataquoik.  With tired feet it seems longer than it is but there were lots of things to see along the way…

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

My buddy making use of his drinking straw filter.  A young man’s tool heh, I’d fall in the water if I tried to lean over like that with my pack on and probably need help getting up even if I didn’t get wet

IMG_1463.jpg

Looking up towards Katahdin from near Whidden Ponds area. Can’t help but think it looks like a place a person should visit some day and then realize we just did heh. Seems very different up close than it does from way over here.

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

My map doesn’t have a name for this ridge…might be the back side of Russell Mt.

IMG_1467.jpg

Good moose area but we were there wrong time of day.  Plenty of tracks and poops but we didn’t see any on this trip.  I guess my buddy will have to come back to try again heh.

IMG_1470.jpg

Running out of trail now

IMG_1481.jpg

Beautiful bridge up ahead but I know once we cross we’ll have closed our loop.  Always a bittersweet moment.

IMG_1482.jpg

Gear notes:

Really happy with the relationship my feet and the Keen PCTs have formed.  With the right socks, even filled with water, they get along great.  Now that I’ve tested them in both high and low, rock and mud, wet and dry I think a review is in order.

Bug netting worked pretty well.  I had one night where bugs got inside, not sure if they came through the mesh or if I gave them an opening as I rolled around in my sleep.  Definitely a weight and space savings over bringing the Tephra 22 body to keep the bugs off.

Easton poles have survived another trip.  I am used to destroying poles pretty fast because I use them a lot to protect my feet on descents.  These too are probably ready for a review.

Food notes:

I brought a mix of MH and my own meals for this trip.  I’m finding the MH breakfast wrap is becoming too big for me.  I’m either going to repackage them into smaller portions or come up with some other solution.  Too much waste to carry if I can’t force myself to eat the whole thing.

My shrimp fra diavolo with angel hair pasta turned out pretty well.  I need to amp up the spice a bit I think or change the name, but the flavors were great.

This time I tried my curry sauce with beef instead of chicken and a lot less rice than last time.  I also tossed in too many veggies and that worked well too. I think I may just focus on shrimp and beef meals going forward since they rehydrate so much more easily and well compared to the chicken. I’ve tried both cubes and shredded but both require too much time to rehydrate and I’m not comfortable soaking them at lunch time and carrying around a bottle of hot soggy meat all afternoon.

Trip notes:

With only one 5.5 hour hike in the rain this wasn’t the epic tale the June trip was and I’m OK with that heh.  I got my revenge on the Saddle Slide from last year and had enough left in the tank to summit Baxter.  Bugs and mud were much less trouble this year than last on this route. 

Also I worked out a new water system with an extra two liter bag along for camp water.  This let me use one good pumping session at the end of the day to make the next day’s trail water and both dinner and breakfast water all at once including enough to share with my partner at times.  Getting that out of the way all at once soon after making camp left me feeling like I wasn’t wasting so much time on the chore.

Big thanks go out to the folks who make this park work.  From the gate guards, to the trail crews and especially the back country rangers they all do a great job of trying to keep the inexperienced safe while letting the rest of us find some real wilds to visit.

Now that my two big trips of the Summer are over it is time to plan some short solos and hopefully a four nighter with the family.  We are thinking maybe two nights of car camping followed by two nights of backpacking once we use up the fresh meat and cocktail ice hehe.  I guess I should start stacking firewood pretty soon too, but a man has to have his priorities.

9:37 p.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Great Trip Report, Thanks for shareing it. Maine is a great place to backpack..

10:11 a.m. on July 31, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great trip report LoneStranger, I've been waiting for it! Great pics, glad I at least got to see some pictures of the tablelands and Baxter peak since we had to deviate from the route on my trip. Your not lying about the privy's at Wass stream LT's. Luckily I investigated them in the afternoon when we got in and planned a 4am visit in the morning before the black flies got some warmth in them. haha! Unfortunetly my pack mates flipped the lids to a black tornado coming from the depths of the underworld and opted for the ole LNT wilderness measures. I'm surprised you didn't see any moose in that area. That is where we encountered the 2 bulls about a 1/2 mile out of Wass camp on the Wass trail. That whole section up to Russell pond is full of signs though. Glad you had a safe and fun trip. Guess I'm gonna have to look to the future to catch the section of trail I missed.

6:22 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
853 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

Thanks denis.

Sorry I forgot to send you a note telling you I'd put the report up in2snow.  This was my first trip up there that I didn't see a moose.  Last year we had a cow walk right around the corner of our LT at Davis no more than 2 feet from where we sat.  She sniffed a few times but I don't think she could see us.  Those things are dang big that close up heh.  If you can't find anyone else to go up with you let me know. I'm always looking for an excuse ;)

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply