Hiking on Prince Patrick Island

5:20 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
306 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

This is my first Trip Report on Trailspace, but not my first trip; if I had bothered to keep track of the number of camps I have made I would have lost count a long time ago.

Earlier this week I landed upon a golden opportunity to hop on a charter flight to Prince Patrick Island in the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. For reference, this island is at around 76 degrees north latitude or about 2,000 miles due north of Glacier National Park and the Canada U.S. border. After the plane dropped me off I spent three days hiking on the island which I had all to myself, in fact I was the only person within a 400 mile radius.

I decided to hike along a tiny river up into the hills away from the coast and set up my camp. The hike itself was fairly uneventful but the silence and the solitude was much appreciated.

I wanted to share some of my pictures taken on this trip because I know how few people ever make it out here.

Ice-filled-bay.jpg
Ice filled bay.

Mountain-Sorrel.jpg
Mountain Sorrel

Arctic-Poppy.jpg
Arctic Poppy

North.jpg
Looking north

Caribou-track-on-river-bed.jpg
Caribou track in river bed.

Caribou.jpg
Caribou.

Panorama.jpg
Panorama

Viscount-Melville-Sound.jpg
Flight home over Viscount Melville Sound.

I didn't take too many pictures, but I did bring home some good memories and that, to me at least, is what it is all about.

6:13 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
457 forum posts

What a great adventure! I'm sure the pictures can't capture what you saw so probably best you didn't waste a lot of time taking more.  The best shots are all in your memories I'm sure.

Thanks for posting even if you have made me very jealous ;) What sort of weather did you have up there?

8:19 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Wow, talk about remote! Nice shot of the caribou as well.

11:22 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,776 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Great pictures, North1! I love the caribou shot.

10:21 a.m. on August 3, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

North,

You bring a certain wildness to this forum. Please continue to contribute. It helps everyone's perspective.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply