Parker's Ridge

8:29 a.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

In Jasper National Park for a week with a couple of clients. Instead of staying in the park, though, we opted to bunk at the Shunda Creek Hostel at Nordegg. It's 90 km from the park gate on Hwy 11, but quite scenic and a lot cheaper.

One lady was a solid and experienced hiker, but her friend wasn't quite as strong. For the first hike, I suggested we start with Parker's Ridge, a short hike near the boundary with Banff NP. We got a late start, and with scenic stops along the way, we didn't reach the TH until noon. 

Great scenery on the way in, of course. Highway 11 is the David Thompson Highway, and it has spectacular scenery of its own, even before you reach the park gates. 

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02788.jpg

This shot is of the Weeping Wall, just south of our destination. In winter it turns into a sheet of ice - great for ice climbing. 

DSC02723.jpg

Parker's Ridge is prone to releasing avalanches onto the highway so they shoot them down, and there are signs at the trailhead warning of the possibility of unexploded shells on the slopes. The trail begins with a short walk, then immediately turns into a steady slog up a series of switchbacks. 
DSC02721.jpg

Mt. Athabasca and Hilda Glacier

DSC02675.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

We got past the treeline quickly, and the views of the surrounding mountains opened up. 

DSC02669.jpg

DSC02678.jpg

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02681.jpg

DSC02679.jpg

The switchbacked section is only about 250 metres high, then we reached the plateau on top of the ridge. A walk across the top opened up ever-increasing vistas, eventually offering incredible views of the Saskatchewan Glacier, far below us... 

DSC02686.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

DSC02690.jpg

...and Mt Athabasca to the north.
DSC02688.jpg

A pause for a few photos...
DSC02691.jpg

DSC02701.jpg

DSC02705.jpg

and a snack, then across the plateau looking for more scenery. 

DSC02712.jpg

DSC06947.jpg

DSC06934.jpg

Neat windbreaks at the top of the ridge...

DSC06945.jpg

Nice views...
DSC02717.jpg

..then back down.

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02716.jpg

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

A good trail for quick access to the alpine, and for good views of glaciers and mountain tops. Another nice day in the mountains. 

9:01 a.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,276 reviewer rep
828 forum posts

There's a lot I like about Illinois...but pictures like this make me want to move to someplace with mountains!

10:12 a.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Nothing like them, Goose. 

When I get to the top, I always feel like that's where I belong. 

5:29 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Craggy Peaks!  I can't get enough of them.  Beautiful pictures!  I noticed you mentioned that you took clients up.  So I take it you're an outdoors guide?  If so.. That's amazing!!  Definitely the dream job.. right up there with Professional Footballer and Astronaut.  My friend's a professional photographer and he's been documenting many of our adventures.  We all keep talking about how it would be amazing if he could get hired by some equipment company and we could get our trips sponsored and milk some free gear.. but oh.. we can only dream...

10:24 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

It takes a lot of time to get certified, macchiolives. A bunch of courses, then lots of hours getting experience. The Interpretative Guides Association, for example, gives you 1 credit for every 10 hours that you lead local hikes, but only 1 credit for every 20 hours leading out-of-town (mountain) hikes. You need a couple of hundred credits to even challenge the exams. 

I've spent a lot of time with groups of up to 20-30 people on mountain trails, under all kinds of conditions, and you learn most of what you need to know by doing it all. 

That's part of the reason I take the gear reviews so seriously. I've seen so many people turn up with crappy equipment because their friend told them 'this' was the greatest without even properly testing whatever it is, then I get to bail them out. 

10:40 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Wow, it sounds like quite an investment to get certified.  But the good part is that you get to do it for a living...

11:28 p.m. on August 11, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Definitely sounds like a very long and difficult process!  But yes.. echoing lambertiana's sentiments.. getting to be in the outdoors for a living sure sounds great!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply