Dash into the woods for Whigg Meadow and a short trip up the Naked Ground Trail.

2:11 p.m. on August 12, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

sorry for the lack of pics, it was wet most of the time and I take pictures on my phone.......Here is one I took from the Skyway looking down on Joyce Kilmer and Lake Santeetlah

cherohala-view.jpg

Friday night was very nice, We (my wife and I) got to Mud Gap around 7:00 PM. We got up to Whigg with enough time to sit on top for a bit then parked our tent kind of by the entrance to the meadow. It was clear...enough to enjoy the view while the sun was out. As soon as the sun went down the fog set in and was stop and go all night. We stayed up talking in the fog late it was sweet, that is a cool place. Saturday, we got up and went to our family reunion in Robbinsville where I found out that my Great, Great Aunt Winnie Hooper lived on Whigg Meadow and my Great uncle Oliver built the road up to it! I also heard a story from a older Cherokee that Buffalo used to roam these here parts......  Saturday we got a late start at Naked Ground Trail, around 3:30 and drizzling. We got about 1.5 miles up the trail about where the alternate trail splits and it started POURING. We got to that first camp site and I whipped a tarp I carry into a shelter to wait it out. Eventually it stopped and we continued up to what I think Tipi Walter has called lower dog camp. The second to last camp I think. We had a great evening. We woke and hiked up to what I think was the last camp, then realized how tired we were and went back down the mountain. Didn't make it all the way up to Naked Ground Gap, in part because my dog looked pretty tired. But all in all it was a fun way to take advantage of being in Robbinsville NC for a Family reunion.

PS.

this is my dog the morning after her first night out in the woods.
Dog-view.jpg

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply