Trip to Alaska

12:05 a.m. on August 15, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

a_view_of_mount_mckinley_and_wonder_lake

Currently a friend of mine is in Alaska and tomorrow heading to the lake in the image, its called Wonder lake and is at the west end of Denali Nat Park, in the distance is the Denali Range. Denali is the highest point in North America at 20,320 feet above sea level. I was there in 1978,79 and 2006. My friend is on a two month trip by herself, she started in Seattle WA took a ferry to Juneau,Haines,Homer,Anchorage and is in Denali NP now. Tomorrow morning she is taking a shuttle 92 miles west thru the park to stay a few nights at Wonder Lake. Then she is heading back east and up to Fairbanks AK.

1:03 p.m. on August 15, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,162 forum posts

A trip to Alaska is always a good idea. The ferry is the best way to get there. I have only been in the Interior once. Denali is an amazing place, but highly regulated. The country north of Fairbanks is surprisingly beautiful spruce forests, with lots of room to roam. Your friend sounds like quite a woman. I met some really great women in northern BC and Alaska that were tough as nails.

6:04 p.m. on August 16, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

She has been a serious backpacker staying outdoors all summer for the last 40 years. She grew up in a family that went backpacking a lot and never gave it up. Where as I usually work the summers and take fall winter and spring off she does the opposite taking April to October off in the wilderness. And like me, she is 57.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply