Zion NP today

7:53 p.m. on August 28, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Went thru Zion NP today to a small town called Hurricane Utah on the other side. I took lots of pictures as we drove thru and on the way back home too. Will post the better ones here after I edit them

IMG_0659.jpg

Here is one as a taste of more to come. Sandstone domes and spires from the highway thru the park.

10:25 a.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Nice pic Gary.  Did you hike up to the top of Angel's landing?  Best view in the park in my opinion.  Last half mile is pretty sketchy but the view is well worth it.

angels-landing1.jpg

angles-landing-2.jpg

12:03 p.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Gary you've got me jonesing for UT again with your pics. I sure do miss all those pretty colors in the rock formations.  It is a bit north of you, but if you get a chance to make it up to Cedar Breaks don't miss it. Not much in the way of hiking up there but some fantastic views of some pretty neat "holes in the ground" as my wife and I used to call large parts of UT.

Keep posting the pics!!

5:52 p.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,461 forum posts

I had to cancel my hike last weekend there in the narrows. My hiking partner is a fair weather hiker. Would not camp and the $450.00 hotel bill to hike with risk of narrows being closed (and it was) was not worth it to her. So, next month going to schedule again.

6:26 p.m. on August 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Jason I think the best view is from Observation Point which is higher and farther up canyon than Angels Landing.

USA---07---Zion---Observation-Point-Trai

This is the view from Observation Point, that's Angels Landing right of center and 717 feet below.

Observation-Point-and-Angels-Landing-Zio

This a shade relief map showing O.P. just above center and A.L. just below to the left other side of the Virgin River.

But no we didn't hike just drove thru the park on our way to Hurricane and back thru on the way home.

Lonestranger, Yes I have been to Cedar Breaks during a bike tour about 20 years ago, I cycled up from Panguitch to Stoneman Overlook at about 10,400 feet.

Giftogab, if you want to stay nearby Zion but for a lot less stay at my place in Orderville about 20 miles ENE of the east entrance up highway 89. I am 6 miles north of the junction of hwys 9 and 89. I have a nice couch, and you could shower and cook too. I host at a website called www.Warmshowers.com  which is for bicyclists touring and have had four couples stay with me this summer here at my trailer.

This is a map showing Zion NP to the west/left and highways 9 and 89 to Orderville on the right/east above Mt Carmel Jct (9 and 89)

Zion-NP-to-Orderville-Utah-via-hwys-9-an

Just let me know a few days or so before you are coming.

12:42 a.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Light-changes.jpg

It was a rainy day as we drove thru Zion on Wednesday

Rain-shadow-spires.jpg

The light was constantly changing

East-Zion-drive.jpg

At 1 pm it was clear as we drove in from East Zion

Eagle-Crags.jpg

Called the Eagle Crags

Beautiful.jpg

The sky was so blue

The-Notch.jpg

The Notch, the cliff on the right has a mile long tunnel thru it dug in the late 20s

The-Watchman-in-Zion.jpg

The Watchman above SE Zion

Dome-rise.jpg

Checkerboard Mesa rises as we drive into the parks east entrance

Zion-Cliffs.jpg

The east wall

Forests-on-top.jpg

The rain sank into the canyons

Fault-shifts.jpg

Fault cracks,wet slick rock and pines

Cliff-faces-of-Zion.jpg

Cliff detail and standing fallen boulder

The-Watchman-peak.jpg

The Watchman from another angle

Pine-Creek-Arch-Zion-NP.jpg

Pine Creek arch

High-walls-of-central-Zion-Canyon.jpg

White sandstone caps red oxide covered ones

First-small-tunnel-thru-sandstone-in-Eas

First of the two East Zion Tunnels thru the sandstone 

Yes the pavement is red, they used red sandstone when building the roads in the park in the 1920s and 30s

Checkerboard-Mesa-from-the-west-in-Zion-

Last but not least Checkerboard Mesa with raindrops on the lens 

I plan to get over to Zion more this fall,winter and spring when its cooler. I am planning now to stay and work thru the  cold season and save up for retirement

3:31 p.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Gary,  Did you hike the 8 mile round trip to observation point?  I agree, it is a grand view as well.  

6:15 p.m. on August 30, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

I have hiked the 8 mile round trip to OP a few times. I hope to get out there to Zion this winter when there is snow on the rims.

7:55 p.m. on September 4, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
176 forum posts

Nice photos!  Brilliant colors!

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply