Eleven Point (multi-day kayaking)

4:48 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

This past Labor Day (9-2-13) I went on a 3 night kayak trip of the Eleven Point River (located in the southern part of the Missouri Ozarks). The fauna there is remarkable (particularly birds)…and I wanted to avoid the crowds of day-trippers who would surely be visiting the river that weekend…so I waited till Labor Day to begin the trip. For the first two days I didn’t see anyone in the more remote upper sections of the river…and only encountered three small groups (2-3 people) of overnighters in the more accessible lower sections on the last day.

The focus of the trip was to mostly relax and enjoy myself…and enjoy the sights that the river has to offer…so I chose to kayak from the Thomasville put-in to the take-out at Riverton. The entire trip was only 37 miles…which I planned to kayak in just a little over two full days (paddling for an hour or two on the first day and anything remaining on the last day). To keep things light + easy + flexible I used my hammock system which I find perfect for wooded rivers in the summer…but brought my luxury (heavy) cook-set which included a non-stick anodized GSI pot and pan combo + a Snowpeak canister + small 2-quart cooler. The basic idea was to camp early and easy...so that I could take the time to fry and simmer up delicious dinners and slow luxurious breakfasts.

I started my trip at the upper-most section…putting in at the Thomasville put-in.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-5-.jpg

I set off really late in the day (about 5:00) and tried to get as far down river as I could that first day...but the river being low and at the same time having just been through a large flood a few weeks earlier...it was slower going than I had hoped.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-15-.jpg

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-38-.jpg

Paddling a little too long I found myself in a hurried state to find a campsite before dark on the first night…as a result I ended up using a less than ideal campsite…but one of the advantages of using a hammock is that where there are trees there is a bed!

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-22-.jpg

Despite not having a lot of choice...hammocks have a way of making just about anywhere along the river a great camp-site. Though the hammock was situated about 4 feet off the ground...the site had plenty of good seating...morning sun...and the sound of rippling water to fall alseep to.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-18-.jpg

On this trip I had planned to I treat myself with a luxury menu...but my Snowpeak Lite stove failed to work for more than a minute or two at a time…luckily I was having frozen curry and cousous for dinner the first night si I had a hot dinner by simply lighting and (re)lighting the stove till the couscous was soft enough. For coffee the next morning I boiled water in an old 16 oz glass soda bottle (I try to take with me any glass I find).

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-21-.jpg

I got back on the river fairly early the next morning...the river was clear and the sun hot...so it made for a great day of paddling.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-24-.jpg

There are many bluffs all along the Eleven Point...and several springs feed it just right off the river.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-69-.jpg

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-36-.jpg

The second night I pitched camp a little early...choosing a nice spot just a few feet from the river...across from which was I nice bluff that positively enhanced my view and mood.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-73-.jpg

Dinner that night was a beef and burrito filler (dried salsa + beans + ground beef + rice + sharp cheddar cheese). Instead of tortillas I used corn-chips which softened just a bit in the mixture and added a nice corn-tortilla flavor to the whole pot. Unfortunately...the dinner was meant to be rehydrated slowly over a low flame...but due to my failing Snowpeak and my desire to keep my pot free of soot I was compelled to try and rehydrate my dinner using boiling water. It mostly worked...but there were a few pieces of stiff rice.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-78-.jpg

I was surprised at just how cold it got both nights on the river (someone told me mid-fifties off the river). After spending two nights in a hammock with just a fleece "sleeping-bag" to keep warm (I find fleece doesn't compress as much underneath me in a hammock as down and synthetic fills do) I pitched the hammock low with a tarp pitched above it on the third night for some extra warmth.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-81-.jpg

Due to the cold nights I eagerly awaited the sun in the morning...building a fire with the first rays warm enough to get me out of the hammock…and putting water on for coffee as soon as possible.

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-82-.jpg

Speaking of trash...I found a piece of inflatable raft on the second day...and elected to use it as a ground sheet in front of my hammock...but I wish I had used it as a mat in the hammock instead...I could have inflated and used it as bottom-side insulation!

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-79-.jpg

Starting a little below Greer Spring the third day I paddled all the way down to the take-out at Riverton (17-18 miles). The lower sections of the river are faster that the upper sections...but gain in speed is off-set by the fact that there are so may things to see in the lower sections. 

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-106-.jpg

There are the remains of the old Turner and Boze mills.

Eleven-Point-B.jpg

Eleven-Point-J.jpg

There are several springs and bridges

Eleven-Point-A.jpg

Eleven-Point-L.jpg

Lots of wildlife...eagles and hawks...waterfowl and otters.

Eleven-Point-D.jpg

Eleven-Point-E.jpg

BEARS!

Eleven-Point-9-04-2013-95-.jpg

Just kidding...there were no bear sightings. It was late when I finally got off the river...to make things worse...my camera that I had been nursing all summer died before I made camp.

So with a lack of pictures you'll simply need to imagine a lovely hammock hung low under a tarp just across the highway at the Hufstedler's Canoe Rental...dinner was a tasty bacon carbonara pesto on linguine...which maybe I can show in another forum on food. Anyways...it was a super tasty dinner...though the lack of a proper stove made me wish I had used angel hair pasta.

I got up early the next morning from a wonderful night of sleep...the addition of a tarp improving me level of comfort significantly...perhaps next time I might be more inclined to get out of my bag and do a middle of the night tarp pitch in the cold damp air?

9:03 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The problems with the SnowPeak suggest an alcohol stove might be a good option for you on future trips. And since weight is less of a consideration in a kayak, you could carry a thermarest for insulation in the bottom half of the hammock.

Nice photos and what sounds like a very pleasant few days. 

10:36 a.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Nice photos and trip report on the Eleven point. I haven't paddled that river in yrs. thanks for taking us along

7:07 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Peter...thanks for the comments!

For sure...a Thermarest pad would have made things much nicer (surprised I didn't use the piece of raft). Though weight is not as important space is (my boat is only 9.5')...so that's why I didn't bring a sleeping pad to begin with (which is very useful if you need to go-to-ground). The thing was...the days were super warm...so I was mostly surprised at just how far the temp dropped at night...a kind of warning to those thinking about visiting the river...be prepared for lower than expected temps at night.

I have all but given up on the canister stove idea...in theory it allows excellent flame control in a relatively lightweight package...but both stoves I have used have been too unreliable...my alcohol stove is now my go-to stove even for more luxurious cooking (I can always remove the pan from the heat...I just like the idea of turning the stove down low and walking away to let it simmer).

7:09 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Ewker...you're welcome...glad you enjoyed the trip. The Eleven Point is my favorite Missouri river hands-down...so I thought I'd give it a shout-out here on TS.

10:48 p.m. on September 10, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

jrenow said:

so I was mostly surprised at just how far the temp dropped at night....be prepared for lower than expected temps at night.

Around here, daytime temperatures are still in the summer range, but overnights have started to drop as Fall approaches.

I just like the idea of turning the stove down low and walking away to let it simmer).

Maybe have a look at the Trangia. The addition of a simple simmer ring lets you drop the temperature to a lower range. 

4:15 p.m. on September 11, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Peter,

I've looked at the Trangia stove so many times...I just never pull the switch. At the moment I used a hole punch some holes in my windscreen (made of sheet aluminum) and use two Vargo titanium tent stakes throug the holes to raise my pot off the fancy-feast stove I made...seems to work well enough...but I am fairly certain it is wasting fuel...might have to give the Trangia another look.

9:16 a.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I don't think any stove is the 'be-all and end-all', but for the problems you describe, something like the Trangia might do the trick. I'd suggest the small two-man stove since it can cope with wind and fancier cooking. 

http://www.mec.ca/product/5016-865/trangia-small-non-stick-27-5ul-pot-set-and-stove/

5:10 p.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Oh wow!...that's a lot of stuff...I'm really just looking for a stove. It is an impressive system though....but if I was in the market for a complete system I would probably lean towards a Flatcat Bobcat System for the baking option and just buy a non-stick skillet that works with the system separately.

With that said...I think I am going to get the Trangia stove...simple and versatile as you like. It should work with all the cookware I have...just maybe not as efficiently as a self-contained perfectly tuned system like what Trangia and Flatcat offer.

Thanks or making me rethink the Trangia thing:-)

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply