Five Nights in the GSMNP and Bears

5:09 p.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
88 forum posts

I posted the report and pictures below.  I don't have the heart to repost the pictures here.  Thanks to all the people who helped me with advice planning the trip and if you are interested in reading about it in detail here's the link below.

In short, I had a close encounter with a bear, but all went well and the Smokys are awesome!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79801

9:24 a.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,311 forum posts

Thanks for the follow-up report MPaint. I enjoyed the read even though the pictures didn’t load for me on the hammock forums. What a coincidence…I had a similar experience in Sugar Cove on my very first solo trip many years ago. A bear circled me for a long time before leaving although he didn’t stare me down for the food like you experienced. It’s hard to sleep well after that isn’t it?

1:03 p.m. on September 16, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,039 reviewer rep
450 forum posts

Also not able to see the pics but that sounds like an adventure.  Loved the part about eating the crunchy dinner rather than wait for it to finish soaking.

Had something snorting at me in the dark the other night but I told myself it was a moose and not a bear.  Whatever it was I'm pretty sure my wet socks kept it at bay.

Thanks for sharing your report and your valuable "hey bear" trick 8p

7:43 a.m. on September 17, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
88 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

Also not able to see the pics...

Sorry about the pictures.  I didn't realize until now that Hammockforums.net makes you log in before you can see the pics. 

Also interesting about Patman's encounter with similar bear behavior at same site.  I reported the bear to a maintenance crew that promised to forward it on to the rangers.  Not sure what they can do, but at least they have the info.

No, I didn not sleep too well that night.  Also, I didn't eat a single meal sitting down for 6 days.  I ate walking around in a little circle trying to look in every direction at once.  It might be a few more visits before I can relax and enjoy a meal in the Smoky's.  ;)

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply