A Weekend with Ediza

7:36 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,144 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Finally had a chance to backpack in the Sierra's this past weekend.  It's been a dream to see it with my own eyes and I finally made it!

We spent Friday thru Sunday at Ediza Lake and I got to see a few other alpine lakes...it was nothing short of amazing!

theshadedtrail2.jpg

Iceberg-Lake.jpg

More photos here :)

8:12 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
176 forum posts

Nice photos!  Looks like my time in the Sierras this year are done.. as I have no more vacation time and two of the men's soccer leagues I play for within L.A. Municipal Parks/Recs have gone into full swing, with games on Fridays and Sundays.  I'm definitely jealous!  I'll have to make a note of Ediza Lake for next year.

8:18 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
1,144 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

It's a good hike but all on established trails.  Iceberg Lake is definitely a must-do...it was beautiful.

10:51 p.m. on October 1, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

You picked a good spot for your first sierra trip!  I need to get back to that part of the sierra again.

10:29 a.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Thanks for the report mangus, I'm a big Sierra fan myself!

2:29 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
313 forum posts

Beautiful pictures and nice report, mangus. I enjoyed it. I love the Sierras (and Mammoth)! I know you enjoyed the trip!

4:14 p.m. on October 2, 2013 (EDT)
1,144 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

It was a blast! I can't wait to get back up in that range next summer.  My local mountains sure looks dull after seeing what's up north :D

6:50 p.m. on October 3, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Ediza is a beautiful lake for sure. I got some great reflection pictures when I was there.

5:17 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
1,144 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

Gary C. said:

Ediza is a beautiful lake for sure. I got some great reflection pictures when I was there.

I wish I had a camera that would capture the reflections accurately.  Luckily, someone in my group does :) 

Ediza is beautiful but I liked Iceberg a lot more for some reason...it was breathtaking to say the least.

7:40 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

The Minarets, Ritter, and Banner have some fantastic climbs on them (including one in the Minarets that several of us put up a new route back in the mid 1960s). Ritter and Banner both have easy routes to their summits that take only a few hours round trip from Lake Ediza.

One of John Muir's most exciting climbs (described in "My First Summer in the Sierra" was on Mt Ritter.  Somehow he got himself all stretched out on 2 footholds and two handholds, and had to make a "leap of faith" to complete the move. OTOH, he also once climbed up into a couple of tall pines to experience the full force of a thunderstorm. And he said that the hike from Yosemite Valley to the summit of Mt Hoffman was "a pleasant day hike" (10 miles each way and about 6000 feet of altitude gain). I have done the equivalent (though not the same start and finish), but that seemed like a pretty challenging "day" to me, taking from an hour before dawn and arriving back at sundown

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply