Day hike up to Glendale Bench

6:20 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

I went to the top of Glendale Bench and then instead of going around Red Hollow I decided to hike north along the edge of the bench and came down thru the town of Glendale. I left the highway this morning at 9 am and it took me over an hour to climb the steep road to the radio tower and another 30 minutes to get to the top of the bench. I could see long valley from Glendale to Mt Carmel and all the way west to the top of the East Temple above Zion. To the north I could see the Sunset Cliffs which are in the same sandstone formation that Bryce is in and they look similar with Hoodoo's. It was a brushy hike thru Manzanita,scrub oak and pines. I tried to come down Stewart Hollow which is a couple miles above Orderville but came down to a 20 foot drop in the cliff so I had to back track and get back up on the other side of Stewart Hollow to the north and followed the rim for a ways till I came to upper Spring Hollow and went around it to the east, its a longer canyon and I had to go about two miles before getting to the head of the hollow and crossing to the north side. I decided not to go back west to the rim of the bench and stayed straight as possible heading towards the Glendale Road that led down to highway 89 at Glendale. I walked thru Glendale then at the south end of town started hitchhiking and caught a ride to where I live with a guy from Kanab.

This is the map of my route. The zigzag black line to the east of Orderville on the map below is where I started from the highway and walked up the steep 4X4 road to the radio towers. Then I followed a big hornsheep/mule deer trail up and around the small un-named canyon and made it to the bech top. The next canyon NE is Stewart Hollow and this is the one i tried to come down only to get cliffed above a 20 foot drop off. Spring Hollow is the next one north and even tho I saw animal tracks leading down at many places I did not attempt another down canyon hike.

At the head of Spring Hollow I came to a dirt road and followed i to the Glendale Road and came down to the highway.

Orderville_to_Glendale-2.jpg

Later after I load and edit the photos I took today I will add them in. Glendale bench is about 1000 feet higher than where I live just northeast of Ordervills Utah in the lower left area. I think I walked about 10 miles today. Its November 11th but was a bright sunny day in the high 60's.

7:22 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

These are the pictures I took along the Glendale bench Monday;

IMG_1212-Looking-down-4x4-road-to-radio-

Looking back down the steep 4x4 road into Long Valley

IMG_1214-Long-Valley-just-above-Ordervil

A little higher view into Long Valley behind me

IMG_1215-Sunset-Cliffs-from-Glendale-Ben

The Pink Cliffs also called the Sunset Cliffs to the north with Long Valley below. The cliffs are in the same formation as Bryce Canyon NP.

IMG_1216-Red-Hollow-at-sunrise.jpg

Looking down into Red Hollow (where I hiked last week). The White Cliffs layer can be seen here.

IMG_1218Winter-scene-of-Orderville-from-

Looking down on the town of Orderville, the small part Mormon community of 500 people with highway 89 running thru the middle. Looking west.

IMG_1219-Orderville-Utah-from-above-Red-

Another view of Orderville with the West Temple above Zion Canyon on the left horizon 20 miles away shining in the mid morning sun.

IMG_1220-Mouth-of-Red-Hollow-from-just-b

Another view of the Mouth of Red Hollow

IMG_1221-The-West-Temple-and-radio-tower

The radio tower and the West Temple in distance, I am now on the game trail

IMG_1224-Table-land-above-Orderville-to-

Gardner Hollow above Orderville lays in the center leading back into the Table Bench country NW 

IMG_1230-Orderville-long-valley-area.jpg

Edge of the White Cliffs, Long Valley and the Sunset Cliffs on horizon

IMG_1231-Orderville-Long-Valley-area-fro

Creek tree lined grass land lines Long Valley below, pasture and hay growing fields

IMG_1232-West-Temple-from-above-orderill

The West Temple view and the edge of Glendale Bench

IMG_1234-Juniper-limb-3.jpg

An old twisted Juniper tree branch still holds against the sky.

IMG_1240-Route-area-thru-brsh-to-the-top

The game trail goes thru the brush and trees in this picture towards the tall Ponderosa Pines near the center of the picture. I often follow game trails because they are usually wide enough to hike after many years of use. This trail was about 1-2 feet wide and used by Big Horn Sheep, Mule Deer and Coyotes, Mountain Lions also.

IMG_1241Distant-views-from-upper-side-ca

Another view to the SW with Orderville and the West Temple

IMG_1242-Sandstone-bluffs-off-upper-side

Sandstone bluffs just as I start coming to the top of the bench

IMG_1243-Upper-side-canyon-off-Red-Hollo

A weathered bluff exposes the roots of a Juniper of the bluffs

IMG_1247-Sunrise-on-bluffs-above-Red-Hol

Looking back along the bluffs I followed from the radio tower

IMG_1248-Looking-southwest-from-just-bel

Southwest view from Glendale Bench, the North Kaibab Plateau is on the horizon center which is also the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

IMG_1251-Blue-Sage-Brush-and-red-sand-on

Blue Sagebrush,red sand and green junipers,cedars and pinions and yucca's.

IMG_1252-Small-section-of-the-Sunset-Cli

Small section of the Sunset Cliffs above the Table Bench lands NW of me

IMG_1257Odd-pattern-on-sand-stone-slab-i

Odd pattern in sandstone slab.The slab was about 3 feet wide and long, the dips are about 2 inches wide. I have never seen such a fossilized form on sandstone before. In Stewart Creek Canyon where I cut down and across the upper drainage

IMG_1258-Upper-Spring-Hollow-sand-stone-

Odd sandstone slab looking northeast in Stewart Creek Canyon

IMG_1259-Ivy-plant-on-sand-stone-in-Spri

Ivy like vine along Stewart Creek Canyon in sandstone

IMG_1261-Petrified-sand-dune-in-upper-Sp

Petrified sand dune exposed in Stewart Creek Canyon

IMG_1262-Erosion-on-upper-Spring-Hollow-

Eroded sandstone with water marks in Stewart Creek Canyon

IMG_1263-In-upper-Spring-Hollow-below-Gl

Now over north in Spring Hollow canyon, I tried to go down this canyon but got cliffed out at a 20 foot drop on a sandstone formation and turned back and went back to the top of the bench

IMG_1264-Looking-southwest-from-upper-Sp

Southwest view from edge of Spring Hollow, the West Temple visible still on left horizon. The high point near  center is Clear Creek Mountain.

IMG_1266-Mormon-Tea-bush-near-upper-Spri

Mormon Tea bush along upper Spring Hollow

IMG_1267-Sunset-Cliffs-from-upper-Spring

The Pink Cliffs above upper Spring Hollow

IMG-1272-View-of-Glendale-Bench-from-Gle

View of Glendale Bench showing the area I hiked from right to left.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply