Backpacking Blog-Southern Apps Dweller

7:29 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

My last two weekends included three nights, four full days, 78 miles and beautiful fall weather.

Rather than an a detailed report I only have time to post my favorite pictures:

DSCN2089.jpg

History or junk?

DSCN2101.jpg

A bridge to good places.

DSCN2107.jpg

Rock thrones.

DSCN2123.jpg

Sunset visitor.

DSCN2156.jpg

Sunrise silhouette.

DSCN2163.jpg

Good Morning

DSCN2195.jpg

Low water color stripes.

DSCN2224.jpg

Brown tops.

DSCN2228.jpg

Bloody knee on top of rotting fire tower roof.

9:31 a.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
174 forum posts

Patman, as usual you have some good pics

1:59 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,202 forum posts

I saw that old jalopy and thought, "Dangit, he's in the Snowbirds!" but you weren't and so I guess the Park has its own share of jalopies. 

If you were to fall thru the rotten wood of the fire tower . . . . .

3:23 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Thanks Eddy

Tipi,

yeah that might be my last scramble through the hatch of that particular tower..it's in pretty sad shape.

Do you know where you'll be in November yet? I'm still undecided but I hope to be out for 8 days over Thanksgiving this year. 

3:47 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

Sadly the jalopy in the snowbirds, at least a few weekends ago, was filled with garbage....

Nice trip patman....

Looks like lakeshore trail, eagle creek, maybe Gregory's, and shuckstack....

Can't believe you went up top of the fire tower......I can't do that.....

4:03 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

You got it Kevin.

First weekend included :Snake Den, AT, Balsalm Mountain, a section of the old unmaintained Hyatt Ridge trail that runs from McGee Springs up over Marks Knob, to Balsalm, off trail on Inadu Knob, off trail around Cosby Knob, out Low Gap

second weekend inlcuded Lakeshore, Eagle Creek, AT, Gregory Ridge, Gregory Bald, , Wolf Ridge, Twenty Mile, and Lost Cove (three times cause I liked it so much)

as far as climbing the tower...I have a history of stupidity and act on urges I should repress

4:09 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Kevin, Last year (or the one before can't remember) I tried to sleep on top of the Mt Sterling tower but the winds picked up and almost blew me off the top so I didn't quite make it through the night:

485732_174063119397670_1350260792_n.jpg

4:13 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

Lost cove three times? Hopefully all downhill......that's one of the steepest trails in the park..

Nice with the off trail near McGee springs...

I wanna hear more about that one...

Have you been down to three forks? That's on my never ending list of places to go...

5:55 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Kevin,

I went up Lost Cove twice and down it once in the same weekend; it was one of the few trails I had never done before and I was impressed. It's a hidden valley of beautiful slopes and streams; kind of reminded me of the nutbuster section of Slickrock Creek trail except more water crossings and not quite as many distinct "zones".

Not yet on Three Forks but it's on the list. I did not do the whole route down from Balsam Mountain that weekend. In fact I didn't set out to do it at all. I saw the path while messing about Balsam Mtn trail as started from Tri-Corner Knob. About a mile in there is a horseshoe curve of the trail and I noticed a faint path leading out the spur. I followed it and started seeing ribbon marking what was obviously a structured but old trail. There were blowdows all over but the path was reasonably distinct. I followed the occasional ribbon until I ran out of time on the day (figuring in return time to camping location). When I got home I pulled out my old park map from the 70ies and saw this trail marked on it.  A little internet researched revealed that it must be the old Hyatt Ridge trail. In fact I am seriously considering attempting the bushwack up by starting at McGee springs and trying to reach Marks Knob and on to Balsam Mountain. I've read it's very difficult to follow (every account of it uses words like "hellish"). Even so, I find the remoteness and adventure of it alluring.

If you have any interest in trying it soon with me send me a PM.

7:59 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,352 forum posts

Was that a old railroad bridge?

8:12 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

The bridge was built for foot and equestrian use......although it does to be built in that style along with that trail having been an old road bed for the logging days...

There's also artifacts such as cables and an old saw blade that is about 3 feet in diameter at one of the campsites...

Also a ton of water crossings along this trail on the lower portion....:upper portion is a good climb and dumps ya out near an AT shelter...

Patman I'll send ya a pm shortly...

8:19 p.m. on November 13, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
197 forum posts

And I'll agree with the description of lost cove trail...

I've always done it as part of a loop going up to shucks tack and down the AT...

7:36 a.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
98 forum posts

As always, thanks for sharing your trip.  Great pics!

12:13 p.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Thanks MPaint....I thought of you a few times as i was eating....lol

bear watch!

2:06 p.m. on November 14, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,776 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

I love that Sunrise silhouette photo. Beautiful! Looks like you've been having fun!

12:49 p.m. on November 26, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Beautiful pictures, Patman! Thanks for sharing your favorites with us.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply