My day hike to Red Cave a slot canyon nearby, care to take a look?

6:06 p.m. on November 16, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

On Monday I did a day hike to a place called Red Cave, its a very narrow slot canyon fairly short but very nice to be in. Its near me, not over in Zion NP. It was about a hours walk from the highway from near where I work.

IMG_1368-Old-tree-stands-near-Red-Cave-e

Old tree stands near the entrance to Red Cave ahead. The sand is really that pink and the stone is very red.

IMG_1365-Red-White-and-Blue-near-mouth-o

Red,white and blue takes on a whole new meaning when looking up from the entrance to Red Cave

IMG_1363-Looking-up-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Also looking up the  canyons outer wall contrasts against the inner darkness. Takes a moment for the eyes to adjust to the low light ahead of me

IMG_1361-Looking-out-above-while-in-Red-

Black shadowed walls against red,green white and blue

IMG_1358-Red-sandstone-of-Red-Cave.jpg

Red sandstone walls that used to be sand dunes perhaps millions of years ago, now packed together and eroded down into a slot canyon

IMG_1357-Wall-crack-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Water once made the slot look like this crack coming down Red Caves side wall and slowly opened up to make the 2-3 foot wide slot it is today. Some places where slot canyons are if you are walking along so called Slickrock, you'll come to a crack like this in the stone. Beneath it may be a slot canyon opening up from water gouging it out after many rainstorms

IMG_1355-Sandstone-layers-in-Red-Cave.jp

Millions of microscopic layers of once wind blown sand now petrified into stone make up the walls

IMG_1354-Older-sand-stuck-to-wall-of-Red

An old layer of sand still sticks to the wall 2 feet above the current sand. The sand was cold to the touch and is as pink as can be.

IMG_1353-Sandstone-curve-in-Red-Cave.jpg

A sandstone wall curves around above

IMG_1352-Upper-walls-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Layers of stone and curves everywhere as erosion has channeled out the slot

IMG_1347-Looking-straight-up-in-middle-R

Looking straight up to see the curves and points of the slot above

IMG_1346-Twists-in-the-walls-of-Red-Cave

Turning around and looking up again from the opposite wall

IMG_1343-Brillant-colors-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Looking back the way I came towards where the sunlight is striking the walls

IMG_1342-Sunlight-shines-down-into-Red-C

More curves and light from above

IMG_1340-End-of-the-canyons-easy-way-in-

About a 1/10th of a mile in the water left from the last rain or snow melt stops me as the sand in these slots is more like silt and the mud in the bottom of such pools is cold and sticky. Thought it was interesting how the water has soaked into the wall above the pool about a foot or someone else tried to wade past splashing the water onto the walls

IMG_1339-Chock-stone-at-routes-end-in-Re

A 2 foot diameter chock stone that fell into the slot from above ahead in the dark recess 

IMG_1338-End-of-the-route-thru-Red-Cave.

View of the water trap and the chock stone

IMG_1336-Primary-colors-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Primary colors in the light and stone colors of the inner walls

IMG_1335-Gravel-washed-down-from-above-i

Gravel washed down from above the slot lays in the pink sand near the water trap

IMG_1334-Inner-room-in-Red-Cave.jpg

The slot twists one way the back the next

IMG_1332-Fluted-walls-of-sandstone-in-Re

Fluted walls show many years of natures work polishing and gouging the stone as the sand,silt and stones come washing down with floods of water

IMG_1330-Sand-drifts-layered-by-water-in

Sand drifts up and around the curves of the slot of Red Cave

IMG_1327-Alcove-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Stone alcove above the entrance to Red Cave

IMG_1319-Mouth-like-sculpture-in-ceiling

Looking up to focus on the outer world of the slot

Gary-in-Red-Cave.jpg

Me in Red Cave after a great hour of pictures and exploration

Sometimes in the summer months when its warmer, hot in fact animals like snakes.lizards and mammals wander unknowingly into these slots. Some wander back out or stay looking at the  cool land forms. Sometimes they are in at the wrong time when flash floods come roaring down and get swamped and killed. I have seen Bog Horn Sheep, deer,rabbits and other critters that did not make it out in time in the many slot canyons in the Arizona/Utah area.

2:40 p.m. on November 22, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
332 forum posts

Great shots, Gary. Thank you for sharing!

4:34 p.m. on November 22, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

Thx Ashleigh, is that a OR down jacket your'e wearing in your profile pic? I have one similar mine has a hood, same color as that one you have on.

5:30 p.m. on November 22, 2013 (EST)
5,567 reviewer rep
766 forum posts

Nice pics!

5:47 p.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
2,570 reviewer rep
332 forum posts

Gary,

That is a Patagonia Down Sweater that I am wearing in my photo. I do have gear envy of your OR down hoody though! I hope you are enjoying it!

6:39 p.m. on November 25, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

Yes, its very comfortable. Been a long time (36 years) since i have had a down coat and having the hood makes it all the more comfortable. I wear it as I cycle to work in the wee hours of the mornings when it around freezing and it keeps me plenty warm and I am taking it on my southwest tour ride this next 4 months.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply