First snowshoe trip of the year

9:28 a.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

The weather report here said there had been several days of heavy snow in the mountains outside of Kyoto, so I decided to go investigate for myself. I packed up my snowshoes and tarp (shelter for lunch) and headed out for a long day-hike.

DSCN3322.jpg
The snow was already getting deep midway up the climb to the ridgeline, which was around 1000m.

DSCN3328.jpg
Trail sign at the top of the climb...now the blissful ridge hiking begins!

DSCN3329.jpg
Looks like I'm not the first one out today.

DSCN3336.jpg
Lots of overhanging snow; I'm not actually as close to the edge as it looks!

DSCN3343.jpg
Looking down at Lake Biwa, Japan's largest lake. These mountains run the length of the western shore and top out at about 4000ft.

DSCN3348.jpg

DSCN3350.jpg

Snow and more snow as I get near my first summit.

DSCN3354.jpg

DSCN3365.jpg
A lone hiker in the distance, looks like a tough climb up...

DSCN3370.jpg
Nearing the next trail junction, close to my lunch spot for the day. I set up my MSR tarp with the help of some trees, dug out a space to sit with my snowshoes and fired up my stove for a hot lunch.

DSCN3376.jpg

DSCN3378.jpg

Deep powder makes for tiring hiking. Beautiful though!

DSCN3390.jpg
Looking back at the hills along the ridge.

DSCN3398.jpg

DSCN3399.jpg

Spot the guy on the summit? The sky started to brighten up as the sun tried to peak through the clouds on the left.

DSCN3404.jpg

My favorite shot of the trip. Finally saw some sunlight toward the end of the hike. A great day in a snow-white world. I'm planning to do an overnighter in the area sometime this winter, so more pictures to come!

11:19 a.m. on January 22, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Love it!  Thanks for posting.  I camped out in the snow the other night but didn't have views like that.

8:13 a.m. on January 24, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Nice hike, but it did make me a little tired looking at that deep snow.

8:46 a.m. on January 24, 2014 (EST)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Thanks for the comments!

Patman,

I've learned to keep the mileage low when I snowshoe, because you never know what the conditions will be like. And yes, I'm back in Japan now :)  (until July).

9:17 a.m. on January 24, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Nice pictures and report. I have never used snowshoes but would like to one day. 

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply