Overnighter in the snow

6:30 a.m. on January 24, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

This wasn't a real trip so not worth a real trip report, but it was good material for a blog post.  I figured some of you might enjoy reading about it so I'd share it here even though it is written for a less experienced audience.

http://wp.me/p4dnu1-26

7:34 a.m. on January 24, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Interesting blog about your hike. 

When I decided to stay here in southwest Utah for the winter I had planned to do some camping and bought a zero degree sleeping bag and long underwear and a down jacket,gloves and whatever I figured I would need for cold nights. Last time I camped in the winter was in Jan-May 1980 in Yosemite's high Sierra. Then I was 24 and willing to live in the cold for as many months as I did. I had a -30 EMS down bag and all the needed winter gear including a 12 lb TNF VE-24 dome tent, snowshoes, ice ax and crampons,etc. I was rarely cold anytime day or night.

But now that winter has arrived with a 14 inch snowfall Dec 1st, that has completely melted away besides in deep shady areas in the woods and north faced slopes, I have yet to brave the minus 32 degree temps at night to camp. Right now as I write this its 19 degrees outside with a 6 mph wind howling past my house trailer. 

Like most winters when I have lived either in Alaska, Wyoming or northern Arizona I am looking forward to spring and summer again. I find that though last summer the idea to winter camp was so intriguing, now that it is cold out I don't like being outside longer than it takes to bike to work in the morning for the 15 minutes it takes to get there.

Anyway, enough about my winter blues. Your hike reminded me of when I was younger and laughed at the cold. 

8:12 a.m. on January 24, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Very cool LS

8:39 a.m. on February 16, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Still not worth a real trip report but for those of you who enjoy pics of tents in the snow or laughing at the people who sleep in them here are a few from the two big storms that came roaring up the coast in the last week.  Some people go between storms and some of us go during them ;)

These are from the first storm that dropped about 8 inches of snow and then turned to sleet around 9pm then changed over to freezing rain for a while around 11pm.

IMG_2401a.jpg

I set this up in the dark in gale winds mid-storm using one pole to anchor a corner into the wind and another as a deadman buried in the snow and tied to the fly on this side.

IMG_2399a.jpg

IMG_2397a.jpg

Not enough ice to bring down any trees on me but enough to make me glad I'd scoped out a good site.  Huge pieces of wind moving around during the night.  Calmer one minute and then a huge roaring sound as the next piece came through.  Great sleeping weather!

These are from this morning.  Last night's storm didn't really deliver with only about 5 inches of snow though there was some drifting as the winds again were roaring.

IMG_2405a.jpg

IMG_2404a.jpg

This time I used one of the poles to stake out the short side of the vestibule.  Just enough of a wind break to be able to use the stove outside the front door.

IMG_2416a.jpg

The cocoacino was far from the best I've ever made as the stainless steel thermos cup was too cold and stole most of the heat but the sunrise ranked right up there with the best of them.

4:20 p.m. on February 16, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

Nice chilly trip LS:-)

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply