In Giant Forest with Webelos Scouts

1:48 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
347 forum posts

One of my backpacking friends is a webelos scout leader, and he wanted to take the scouts on a hike to identify some trees to satisfy one of their requirements.  So, what better place to do this than Giant Forest?  He asked me if I could come along, and had to twist my arm really hard.

Since it is winter, we could park right by the Sherman tree, so that was our first stop

IMG_0091.jpg

They didn't have any specific plans for how far they wanted to walk, so I started them down the Congress trail.  I always like the cinnamon bark of the sequoias.

IMG_0095.jpg

Next photo op was at a typical, average mature sequoia

IMG_0097.jpg

Then we got to the President, an impressive tree

IMG_0101.jpg

From there, I convinced them to go on a longer five mile loop.  Continuing on, we got to a nice meadow.  This is a very dry drought year and there is very little snow.  I have been here in other years with ten feet of snow on the ground.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Another shot with average mature sequoias, there are a lot of trees like this in Giant Forest.

IMG_0127.jpg

We eventually reached the Franklin tree, another of my favorites.

IMG_0132.jpg

And nearby, the Washington Tree

IMG_0134.jpg

More cinnamon goodness

IMG_0135.jpg

The Lincoln Tree

IMG_0143.jpg

And the final shot, looking up the McKinley Tree

IMG_0145.jpg

The scouts all had a great time, and the five mile hike wore them out.  I guess the silver lining of the drought is that we can take the young scouts on a hike like this in the middle of the winter, but we could sure use some moisture.

2:46 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Absolutely fantastic, thanks so much for sharing!

We have some giant Cypress trees where I live, but not as big as those beautiful Sequoias.

7:24 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Sweet trip John! Just the sight of those grand trees stirs a feeling for me.....

7:28 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Its an interesting place. Without the prospective of people at their bse the trees look like normal tree's. I have yet to make it to any of the giants tree area's though I spent many months in the Yosemite area in the 80's.

Nice shots!

8:08 a.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Trees are great and all, but I'm more excited to see you folks getting those kids out there to look at them.  Getting the next generations started on the trail is one of the best things we can do for them, us and the trails.  Good job!!

Sorry to see that lack of snow though. Going to be a long year if things don't change out there.

2:45 p.m. on January 26, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts

Love those trees! I just gave a "fun science" lecture about big and old trees and used my own photos from three years ago. But so little snow...

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply