Wales - Black Mountain overnighter

3:08 p.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

So after some recent changes in my life, I have decided to take more advantage of some of the UK wilderness as I am only here for one more year, and tackle some of the summits and ranges I have been meaning to get to, but couldnt without going overnight (unless I bought a car). So I went ahead and bought all the gear I need for some solo camping and decided to give it a go in the UK. I decided to include some pics of the gear I took, as it was also a nice chance to try out a whole bunch of great stuff at once!

overnight-gear.jpg

Some exciting additions are the Lightwave wildtrek 60 backpack, the Wild Country Zephyros 1 tent and footprint (normally dont need those but the terrain here is quite poor). I was also quite excited to try the Lifeventure downlight 660 bag (a 50-60dF bag), which I supplemented with a thermolite liner to boost its rating. The final exciting addition was the GSI halulite minimalist cooking system, which I have paired up with a firemaple Ti stove for a really nice compact lightweight setup. All of it fits neatly and with room to spare in the Lightwave pack. I really like its clean uncluttered design.

cooking-gear.jpg

One of the peaks I have always wanted to tackle was the "Black Mountain" on the western flank of the Brecon Beacons national park in Wales (The Black mountain actually refers to all the hills in the area, and the particular one I aimed for is Fan Brycheiniog  at 2631 feet, but most people just call it the Black Mountain). I hike frequently in the more accessible central portion of the park, and have always admired the massive ridge (Black Mountain, big ridge way back in the distance) that I saw in the distance, as well as some of the peaks in between.

Trip-report-1.jpg

I started at noon so I would make my anticipated wild-camp location by around 8:30. As wild-camping is technically not legal in Wales, its best to set up when its getting dark. It was an exhausting 14 miles of multiple summits and a slow slog through peat bogs, mud, and complete lack of any actual trail for about 70% of the way! I managed to summit every peak you see along the way, it was great fun! It was however much more exhausting than anticipated. The good news was that the weather was great.

Making steady progress, but the giant ridge still looms what seems like an impossible distance away!

Trip-report-2.jpg

The rest of the way was just as exhausting. At one point I had to cut through a farm and negotiate a barbed wire fence.... cut a close one but all is well! The weather was unfortunately not cooperating so it was too grey for good photos. I managed to make it to my camp spot that I picked out on the map, nestled between two higher hills right at the foot of the ridge. The difficult part was finding a patch of ground that wasnt water logged! After a bit of searching and dealing with exhaustion, I found a spot that would do and set up camp. The little Zephyros 1 tent was a breeze to set up and remained perfectly stable throughout the night ( I replaced the stock pegs with Mountain Hardwear X stakes, which were great for gripping the soft muddy/grassy ground). I got to enjoy some colour in the sky before cooking up some chilly and settling in for the night.

Trip-report-3.jpg

The forecast was for about 46 dF which was 4 degrees below the lower comfort limit for my bag, but I was curious to see how far I can take it with the addition of a thermolite liner as well as merino long johns and top. I have a nice 3-season down bag, but I am a warm sleeper and prefer to avoid sweating, and the lifeventure downlight 660 only weighs 660g and packs down very small, so I was interest to see what its limits were for future outings. It performed OK. While sleeping on my back I was perfectly comfortable, but when on my sides and the bag stretched a bit across my bag, it would lose loft and make me cool. Though I was quite exhausted and my body temperature was fluctuating quite a bit during the night so I cant say for sure, but I am satisfied with the bags performance.

In order to make my summit bid the next day and avoid the brunt of the forecasted incredibly hot weather (hot for the UK at least), I got an early 4 am start, and was packed and hiking along by sunrise. The hills had an almost surreal look to them and it was quite the enjoyable experience.

trip-report-4.jpg

Once the sun came out though, it got HOT, very hot, and I got burnt to a crisp. I should have been more prepared but having been in this country for 2 years, I rarely recall needing sunscreen so I was caught without it and now I am paying the price! Regardless.... achy feet and tired joints, I still pulled myself to the summit!

Trip-report-6.jpg

After a good 30 minutes hiking around the top and getting a good panorama, it was time to head back. A long 10 miles without any water, thankfully it was mostly downhill. I had brought 4 liters, and normally that is more than enough, but because of the heat, and the energy lost by hiking on wild peat bogs and mud instead of actual trails, I ran out sooner than anticipated. Thankfully, I was greeted by beautiful things on my way back to civilization which was enough to distract me until I got to a pub and had a big breakfast and about 3 bottles of soda.

trip-report-7.jpg

trip-report-8.jpg

Now I am at home, nursing blisters from the combo of soggy boots and warm weather, and the bright red burns on my arms and neck. Still no regrets. It was a fantastic outing and I am happy the new gear has performed well. There are a few more remote peaks that I will now surely tackle!

1:52 p.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
460 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Great photos!  Never been to Wales.  I do know they've produced some great footballers though (Giggsy, Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Craig Bellamy, etc).

9:03 p.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,504 forum posts

Very good photos and narration my friend, I felt like I was there too!

Thanks for letting us see what it was like for you in Wales.

I might not can travel the world but I still love seeing what it looks like, that last photo is killer - great camp spot if you ask me.

11:06 p.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
758 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Looks like a great trip with awesome views.  Love the picture of the sun and hill tops.

6:53 a.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

I agree with Trouthunter.....thanks for taking us with you!

I got up early this morning to sip coffee, catch up on my electronic life, and I'm finishing up with this trip report.  thanks again.

8:34 a.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Thanks for the kind words all. It was a great deal of fun, and also provided some fantastic resistance training going up those hills/mountains loaded with gear. A few more of these and I will be all set for some more serious mountaineering routes I want to tackle later this summer.

For those who havent been. I would definitely recommend Wales as a hikers vacation destination. Lots of beautiful scenery and great hills and mountains, as well as beautiful coast line to be had.

1:24 p.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
88 forum posts

Great report.  It sounds like you had the whole place very much to yourself as well.  Wonderful experience. 

3:37 p.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
173 forum posts

thanks for the trip report and pics of the area you hiked in Wales. 

1:42 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,324 reviewer rep
424 forum posts

I enjoyed that...Thanks!

2:22 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,058 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

That last photo is my idea of a perfect lunch spot or picnic area with the family. Amazing!

7:15 p.m. on May 24, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,851 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

lovely, thanks for sharing!

10:43 p.m. on May 24, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

I would love to trek in Scotland or Whales. Thanks for the report!

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply