Boreas Pass, February 2014

2:07 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Haven't posted in quite a while (had a job last summer that sucked up all my free time), but thought I'd get back to it. And I'm a little late with the entry, but I thought, what the hell...

This was an overnight ski trip with the brother-in-law over Boreas Pass, from Como (in South Park) to Breckenridge, about 3 months ago.

DSCF0544.jpg
We got a late start but it was a beautiful day, and we were all smiles leaving the car.

DSCF0545.jpg
Don't believe everything you read.

New_1_boreas-1.jpg

The coats came off pretty quick...in fact it was so warm the snow was clumping to the bottom of our skis at times. That'll slow you down...

DSCF0546.jpg
Boreas Peak seemed to keep its distance.

DSCF0549.jpg
Finally, we reached our accommodations as the light was fading, the renovated cabin that used to house the railroad workers, at 11,481 feet on the Continental Divide.

DSCF0547.jpg
Looking west, to the Ten Mile Range.

DSCF0550.jpg
Headed down the next day, past another sign of the old railroad days.

Even though the weather cooperated, the trip was a little more strenuous than we anticipated, especially that first day. All in all, a good trip, and worthy of a quick toast with a shared beer back at the car. The only casualty...

DSCF0554.jpg
...a pair of socks that got a little too close to the fire.

4:40 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

That looks like a great outing. Very nice photos as well. My condolences for your socks :(

10:30 p.m. on June 23, 2014 (EDT)
299 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Thank for this post, I can't tell you how many times I came over this pass to work in Breckenridge, the last time was 3 years ago.  I miss it a lot.  The cabin is nice, but I can't believe they took the old one down.  In the 70's you still could go to the top floor.  I was told this was a hotel because the train would take 2 days from Como to Breckenridge, also they claimed that when the circus came, they used the elephants to help pull the train over the pass.  

Thanks again,

Mike

11:21 a.m. on June 24, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Nice area with some interesting history.  I might have done the same thing to a pair of socks once, or twice.

12:08 p.m. on June 24, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
88 forum posts

That looks like a great trip.  Hope the socks weren't on your feet at the time! 

9:59 a.m. on June 25, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

thnks Mac, right now that snow looks great to me as trips in my area are all about tryign to stay cool in the heat, even above 6000 feet

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply