Snowdonia National Park, Wales, Day 1

10:52 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
163 forum posts

This past weekend I took a long overdue trip to the heart of Snowdonia National Park in Wales. I had been to the southern end of the park in mid-Wales for some hikes and it was lovely, but the heart of the park with the big mountains is in Northern Wales. I based my stay in the town of Llanberis, which is basically the Chamonix of Welsh mountaineering. Its a really lovely town and I have included some pictures of views of, and from the town. It links directly to all of the main mountains of interest in the area (and there are many!).

Small but charming streets typical of the UK.

streets-of-Llanberis.jpg

The lovely and surprisingly inexpensive hotel from which my adventure was based.

view-from-Llanberis-3.jpg

You dont even have to leave the town to get some stunning views!
view-from-Llanberis.jpg

view-from-Llanberis-2.jpg

I only arrived at the hotel at 2pm, and immediately geared up to do some exploring. The first day would be comparatively easy to what I had planned for the next two days. I thought I would take advantage of the relatively easier hiking and make this outing more about photography. Something which I havent done in a while.

This is the gear I used for day 1:

day1-gear.jpg

Important bits include the TNF Angstrom 20 backpack, Brasher Hillwalker II GTX boots, OR Neoplume primaloft jacket, Joby Gorillapod SLR tripod, my Canon T2i SLR with 17-40mm F4L lens, Fizan ultralite poles, some MEC windstopper gloves, TNF Venture rain shell, some drybags, MEC windstopper hat, and source 3L bladder. My fuel for the day was 1 cliff bar and two gels. The OR kit bag contains necessary safety essentials, and I carried a Victorinox climber SAK in my pocket.

My targeted hike for the day is a mountain called Elidir Fawr (3031 feet), part of the Glyderau range. The particularly cool thing about this mountain is that on one side is a disused old slate quarry which makes for some very fun exploration. Also, the mountain now houses a hydroelectric dam, which means most of the quarry is fenced off. So the some of the fun was jumping gated off areas and dodging barbed wire!

The hike started on some very nice paths all made of slate of course!

Day1a.jpg

Once you pass the forested area, you reach a clearing that starts to give you a great view to the South-West of the Snowdon Massif.

Day1b.jpg

From here you can start making your way up the massive slate walls to the various stepped plateaus of the quarry.

day1i.jpg

Looking around for a bit, I managed to find some man-made caves, which made for some fun exploring and a good excuse to use my headtorch!
Day1d.jpg

After a good two hours of exploring, I made it above the quarry and was well on my way to the summit. There was no path and it involved some careful stepping and scrambling up random boulder fields. You can see the quarry down below.
Day1e.jpg

The final push to the summit was all scrambling over some massive boulders. I didnt anticipate that, and definitely had the wrong boots for the task! They came out of it with quite a bit more "character" than they went in with!
Day1f.jpg

A look back at the summit crest I took to get to the highest point.

Day1g.jpg

There were some lovely views from the summit, and a very cold breeze. Good thing I brought an extra layer!

Day1h.jpg

I spent about 30 minutes on the summit taking pictures and resting, then made my way back. Once I got back to the hotel, the reward was a nice rump steak enjoyed while watching the sunset from the restaurants patio gardens.

Of course, as I mentioned, one of my main goals was to do a bit more photography on this particular outing, and I was quite happy to be able to do that.

Here are some of my photographic highlights from the day. The sunlight was so intense that it was very easy to get incredibly vibrant colours.

Abandoned-Quarry-Wales.jpg

The Snowdon Massif:

Mountains-of-Snowdonia.jpg

Mountains-of-Snowdonia-3.jpg

The Glyderau range:

glyderau.jpg

I thought this one in particular looked cool in black and white as well.
glyderau-bw.jpg

Reports on Day 2 and 3 to come!

8:59 a.m. on July 11, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

Wow, beautiful pictures, TJ!

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your trip reports. I would love to visit Wales someday.

2:53 p.m. on July 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,266 forum posts

I second that ....those pictures are fabulous!

Thanks TJ

4:48 p.m. on July 11, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,202 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Thirdsy that!

I agree the black and white of the one image adds a lot of depth to the photo.

Thanks for sharing those.

7:43 p.m. on July 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
163 forum posts

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words :)

I'm still processing my RAW images for the other two days. I will post those reports soon. At least one of them tomorrow.

4:11 p.m. on July 13, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,456 reviewer rep
93 forum posts

Great pictures from all days, TJ!

1:21 p.m. on July 14, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,746 reviewer rep
346 forum posts

Beautiful pictures, TJ! Thanks so much for sharing these. It looks like an amazing trip!!

7:03 a.m. on July 15, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

What an amazing trip.

4:02 p.m. on July 16, 2014 (EDT)
346 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

lovely photos you picked the right day for the landscape photography but then any day in snowdonia is great ! thanks for sharing

5:24 p.m. on July 16, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Great Fun1 I wish I could get pix like that on my trips!

2:37 a.m. on July 17, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

These are my local hills, please feel free to contact me for any advice or information. If I am not working I would be pleased to accompany visitors from the USA for some hiking. I am 60 but quite fit.

3:54 a.m. on July 17, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
163 forum posts

giftogab said:

Great Fun1 I wish I could get pix like that on my trips!

You can! If you want some tips just message me, I would be happy to share :)

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply