Waptus River, Alpine Lakes Wilderness

11:54 a.m. on July 18, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

When I take all five kids into the mountains this is one of my favorite places.  I like the river, the flat 2 mile trail and the low levels of bugs.  This is the third or fourth summer in a row we have gone here.  It never fails to be fun.

P7120010.jpg

Coming from a lake makes this river actually bearable as a swimming place.

P7120073.jpg

Not exactly high alpine but a fun kid trip.  I took a risk and left the rain fly at home, hoping that the forecast would be accurate.  The gamble paid off.  Some horse packer brought an axe and made some cool benches.  I guess those guys are good for something.

P7130091.jpg

This monster was easily the biggest frog I have ever seen.  Discovered by clone #5.  I know other areas get bigger frogs but this one was a monster for this area.  As she sits she's probably 5-6" nose to tail.  #1 wanted to eat it.  I feed them well, I promise.

After a long time of doing everything for the kids when we camp now they are all experienced enough to set up their own camp, cook their own food and pack their own gear, the older ones helping the younger.  I sat back and relaxed all afternoon as the clones all trooped off on a side hike together, confident in the knowledge that they no longer need me for much besides the trip to the TH.  At one point I felt left out but then I realized that this independence was the goal I had been training them for all these years. 

P7130086.jpg

I only had to cook for myself.  The kids did the rest.  In a few more years I'll let them start carrying my gear :)

P7120011.jpg

The river felt great, the air temp was 95 degrees or so at mid-day. 

P7120044.jpg

A well-placed log kept us entertained for a few hours.

7-18-2014-7-28-41-AM.png

#4 asked to be baptized in the same place her older sister was last Summer.  This made the trip extra special.  In a few years, if I do my part, #5 might want to be as well and that will round out the troop.  This was, for me, the highlight of the trip. 

P7120014.jpg

the men

P7130090.jpg

The hike out

P7130092.jpg

"who run Bartertown?"  If I keep this up, when he is 20, I'll have really strong shoulders!

If you haven't taken your kids (or someone else's) hiking yet this summer you really need to get out. 

9:25 a.m. on July 20, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
165 forum posts

Great pics! Looks like you had an awesome trip!

11:50 a.m. on July 20, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,456 reviewer rep
97 forum posts

That looked like a very special trip, Sage.  With #4 being baptized, that must make the experience even more unique for your troop! Thanks for sharing.

12:12 a.m. on July 21, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,181 forum posts

Alpine Lakes is a gem and so close to Seattle. I love to see the kids out there learning from guys like you. I just returned from a canoe trip with a 17 yo and a 23 yo. Now they are hooked.

7:35 a.m. on July 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Well done Master Blaster! Wow they do grow so fast...I can see your gang getting bigger in the trip reports.

Yeah, you're on to something with with having your own private labor force. If you plan correctly this could be translated into an early retirement....nah, nevermind, that's too much of a reach, just carrying Dad's heavier gear would be enough. :)  

1:40 p.m. on July 21, 2014 (EDT)
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

Pat, I'm glad you got the Mad Max reference

3:26 p.m. on July 21, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

What a fun and very special trip! I am glad the weather was nice. Thanks for sharing it with us!

7:37 a.m. on July 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
81 forum posts

Quite a crew; sounds like it's becoming an annual tradition.

1:04 p.m. on July 22, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Beautiful area, Jeff. What you thought was a frog, was a Western Toad. On the road from Jack's Pass near Stevens Pass several decades ago, I encountered several dozen. A plague of toads.

9:52 a.m. on July 23, 2014 (EDT)
3,486 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

You know Erich we wondered about that.  It looked awful rough to be a frog.  thanks for the ID.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply