Today's bike/hike in Grand Teton Nat Park

4:39 p.m. on July 26, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

This morning after breakfast I rode my bike about 8 miles north into the eastern edge of Grand Teton National Park then did a 10 mile hike along the Gros Ventre (Grow Vont) River. 

IMG_3011---Trumpeter-Swans-on-Flat-Creek

Trumpeter Swans on Flat Creek just north of the town of Jackson WY this morning at 730 am.

IMG_3021-The-Sleeping-Indian-Mountain-ab

The Gros Ventre River and a mountain called the Sleeping Indian about 6 miles from downtown Jackson

IMG_3031-Wild-Thistle-flower.jpg

A wildflower called the Thistle

IMG_3033-A-beaver-cut-tree-stump.jpg

A old Beaver cut tree stump

IMG_3043-The-Gros-Ventre-River-flowing-t

The Gros Ventre River flowing with the mountain range of the same name in Grand Teton Nat Park

IMG_3044-The-Tetons-and-Blacktail-Butte-

The Tetons (left) and Blacktail Butte (right) above the Sagebrush Flats in SE GTNP

IMG_3051---A-Bison-and-her-calf-in-Grand

A Bison cow and her calf in GTNP

IMG_3052---Buffalo-on-the-flats-with-Tet

Bison on the Sagebrush flats against the Teton range

IMG_3053---The-American-Bison-of-Wyoming

A Bison bull with the south Teton range in late July

Jackson Hole, like many places in the west has been unusually hot this summer with highs in the upper 90s to over 100 degrees. I stayed out till 11 am this morning before returning to Jackson.

10:28 a.m. on July 27, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
177 forum posts

Those are some great shots Gary!

Do you use a circular polarizer?.....and if not, have you considered it? It will make those beautiful blue skies pop even more if you arent using it already.

7:38 p.m. on July 27, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

Yes, I have used a polarizer on my camera's since 1977. Often depends on which way the sun is. Many of those shots where against the sunny sky as I started at 7 am and even later in the day many of the shots were to the southeast or west as the sun rose. I was back in town by 1130 am.

11:00 p.m. on July 27, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
987 reviewer rep
168 forum posts

Hey Gary, thanks for writing out the pronunciation of Gros Ventre (Grow Vont) for me. I've read the term before, but never knew exactly how to say it. I believe I read it as the name of a native tribe as well as the river and mountains. Assuming it was French, my internal pronunciation was fairly close, but now I know the real way to say it. 

Thanks and great trip report and photos. 

11:01 a.m. on July 28, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Gorgeous pictures, Gary! I love seeing pictures from Jackson/GTNP! Thank you for sharing!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply