Saturdays bike ride up Fall Creek in the southern Teton Range

4:44 p.m. on August 3, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

On Saturday I biked 43 miles and rode along a bike route that I do about every couple years. Its actually a car route starting in Jackson then going 17 miles south on the highways along the Snake River, then turning back northwest along Fall Creek Road to the small community of Wilson and then back to Jackson.

This link goes to a map I made of the route. You can zoom in with the scale on the upper left to see the topography better. The blue line is my route. Jackson is the red dot in the upper right.

IMG_3104-My-bike-August-1-2014-on-the-Sn

About 10 miles south of Jackson I crossed the Snake River. This view is looking northeast.

IMG_3108-Along-the-Snake-River-near-Hoba

Another couple miles down the road and I come to where the river and the road are very close hemmed in by George's Canyon.

IMG_3127-South-entrance-onto-Fall-Creek-

About 10 more miles and I enter Fall Creek Canyon.

IMG_3132-Bumblebee-on-Thistle-weed-flowe

A Bumblebee gorges on nectar of a Thistle weed flower.

IMG_3135-Looking-down-lower-Fall-Creek-R

Looking back south down Fall Creek Road. The distant views are the Wyoming range in the lightest blue pointed peak and the ridge between it and the darkest one on the upper right, The darkest ridge is part of the Snake River Range. The road begins as dirt for a few miles and climbs about 700 feet up from the Snake River and highway.

IMG_3142-Fall-Creek-View-August-1-2014.j

After cresting a pass and dropping back down I come to Fall Creek Flats with the creek meandering its way south and north.

IMG_3148-Rest-break-beneath-pine-along-F

Then the road starts climbing again and I stop in the shade of this pine tree with a thunderhead cloud on the horizon ahead to the NW. The dusty road reflects the sunlight and makes it seem hotter than it really is, making my eyeballs swimming in their sockets and sweat run down my forehead, so I put a bandana around it.

IMG_3151-Beaver-pond-near-Fall-Creek-Roa

Soon after a small village called Red Top Meadows the road becomes paved again and I pass down along the lower Snake River plains and pass this old Beaver pond. The mountains distant are on the east side of the Snake River and were the ones I passed on my way south a few hours before.

IMG_3134---Butteryfly-on-Thistle-weed-fl

A butterfly sips nectar from another Thistle weed flower along the road.

IMG_3128---Young-buck-deer-along-the-low

A young buck Mule deer looks at me as I pass stopping to take his image. He wandered up a slope and stopped to check me out again from the ridge. 

IMG_3129---Buck-deer-along-the-Fall-Cree

IMG_3152-Grand-Tetons-from-upper-Fall-Cr

After a nice coast down again I come to a view of the Tetons (left of center) and the Gros Ventre Range to its right above the Snake River plains.

IMG_3153-Young-Ospreys-wait-on-nest-with

After a brief rest and Gatorade stop in Wilson I ride back towards Jackson. Along the way I stop at a long used Osprey nest along the highway where the electric pole has a wooden rack built for the nesting birds. There are three young ones on the nest visible and one parent in the top of an old dead tree 30 feet distant, yelling at me as I stop to take one image. Looks like the young are about ready to leave the nest. Look closely and you can see one Osprey youngs head just to the left of the right bird. This nesting area has been used for at least the 32 years I have came to Jackson Hole,Wyoming. There is also other nests on other pole put up just for the Osprey's to nest upon nearby.

As soon as I got back to town I was so tired from the heat and riding I stopped and rose the free town bus back to my place in town.

In 28 days on September 1st, I will leave Wyoming and begin my 1850+ mile ride to southern Arizona. At age 58 1/2, I think I will be taking my time riding about 30-50 miles a day which will take me about 2 months to get back to my winter home of Tucson and the Sonoran Desert. This will be my 65th bicycle tour since 1982.

7:14 a.m. on August 7, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
81 forum posts

Thanks for sharing your trip.  From your pictures, i get the impression that everywhere you look are beautiful vistas. 

8:49 a.m. on August 8, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

MPaint says: From your pictures, i get the impression that everywhere you look are beautiful vistas. 

Oh, yeah! I have been coming to Jackson Hole WY for 35 summers mainly fr the vista's. Location,Location,Location! I work here part time 3 months of the year now that wages are so high, though they have always been higher here as the cost of living for 99% of americans is high because they choose to live high on the hog.

as for myself I live very cheaply yet live well and very happiily. I make about $1000 a month after taxes and pay less than $300 for a place to live and $125 for food. The rest I save to live on during the 9 months a year Sept-May I take my vacations on cycle touring back and forth from Arizona to Wyoming fall, winter and spring.

Jackson is surrounded by many mountain ranges. The Gros Ventre and Wind River to the east, the Wyoming range to the south, the Teton Range to the west and the Absaroka/Yellowstone ranges to the north. Jackson Hole is a valley about 20 miles long by 7 wide. 6500 feet above sea level. The mountains rise another 7000 feet above. The Grand Tetons rise over 13,000 feet.

In a days ride from town I can see many rivers as well, many lakes and canyons, a wide variety of are's.

Come and see it for your self someday. Summers are best in my opinion but skiers will tell you winter. I head south to Arizona so I can stay in shorts and a tshirt all year.

7:56 p.m. on August 8, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,528 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Looks like an awesome route and some great weather for it, Gary!

12:43 a.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

I'm glad you have the close-up capacity on your camera--nice shots of the little things!  Thanks for taking time for us!

11:00 a.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

Bunion, actually I don't have a close up lens, I simply crop and edit the shots. The deer was farther away than it looks but cropped it appears closer.

Example is the shot of the Osprey's. The parent in the tree distant is only twice as far as the young in the nest in the foreground but looks farther. And the young were about 100 yards away from me. 

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply