North Loop Mt. Charleston, Nevada

6:32 p.m. on August 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Maggie and I set out again for another run at the North Loop. This is her third, my second time heading up. It has altitude and steepness. Two things we need in preparation for the looming trek. First, thanks to Jim,her husband, for being so kind as to lend her to me today, the start of his fabulous birthday weekend!

So up we went and this time no hot spots on my heels. It is a steep 3 miles to the Raintree, a 3000 year old Bristle-cone Pine yes...I will wait while you read it again but it is true! The first section was much easier than last weekend. We hit the boyscout camp and had a snack and a rest and a great visit.  Then we hit the 7 sets of switchbacks! I am not gonna lie. This was a grueling section designed to brake me. And at several spots it nearly did. Today, Maggie decided to hang back with me and with my slow pace, that gave her a chance to drink in the beauty of the trail.img_0360.jpg?w=300

For me, as always, it was hard work. But that is what I signed up for.

A lot of the Bristle-cones are dead either from past fire or just life going out of them. The strike an ominous pose. They are so cool and eerie to look at!img_0358.jpg?w=300

Reminds me of Tim Burton movie art! Who knows, maybe he hiked these hills!

Once we got to the ridge which sits about 10,000 feet we rested again. I told Maggie I did not think I had any in the tank to drop down to the tree and come back up for our ultimate decent. But she kept encouraging me that that leg was nothing like the murderous switchbacks we had just finished. So I bit and dow to the rain tree we went. And I am so glad for her prodding me on because it truly is the tree of a lifetime!

img_0380.jpg?w=300img_0373.jpg?w=300

We spent some time there just enjoying the day and headed back. We stopped back at the boy scout camp. IF you look closely, you will see the stratosphere tower!

img_0400.jpg?w=300

We left there and all our media was threatening to die, so we hoofed it back without stops for additional pictures. It was a long day. A good day. One that gave lots of information to us for the final preparations for our IncaTrek!

Here are some more sights of the day...ENJOY!

img_0389.jpg?w=300

Only 8 more miles to the top of Charleston!img_0396.jpg?w=300

Maggie in between the two trunks of the 3000 year old Rain Treeimg_0393.jpg?w=300

PEEKING!

img_0374.jpg?w=300

Close up of teh Bristle COne Pine in its prime....only several hundreed years old.img_0372.jpg?w=300

View of Mummy through the Pines

6:12 a.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
552 forum posts

Great looking hike.  I was recently in Las Vegas and was surprised to see mountains surrounding the city.  I studied up on Mt Charleston and would like to return someday to hike it as a loop.  

7:36 a.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Rob..It is a nice loop that I have not done. My brother did it a while back and it was about a 12 hour hike. But he was a scofflaw because the south loop is closed due to last year's fire. Thank God the raintree survived! I wish I would ahve known you were here...I could have directed you to a nice hike or two.

6:14 a.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
552 forum posts

Thanks Gifto!  The wife and I were there attending a wedding so we stayed primarily on the strip around Cesar's, Flamingo, etc.  Really cool place.  The crowds that were on the street after the sunset were a little too much for us.  Everyone walking every which way with no order!   

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply