Shenandoah National Park April 4-9

3:17 p.m. on April 12, 2016 (EDT)
8,408 reviewer rep
420 forum posts

I had pull the linchpin before I completed a 105 mile NOBO hike thru Shenandoah NP, logging 67 miles on the AT, and about 80 overall. This 'early spring' backpacking trip ended up being all winter... No sign of spring whatsoever on the ridge.

Night one began with rain, and a low of 18°F according to section hiker Coco, with his wonder gadgetry. I awoke to ice chips all over the tent, and dandelion snow at dawn. The temperature never got above 45°F at any point, and I pushed the eject button Saturday, mid-day with temperatures in the mid 20's accompanied by wind gusts well over 50mph. Being exposed on the western slope, I then decided I was no longer having fun. 

Heavy winds all week had me windburned by day 2, and the sound of a freight train lasted indefinitely... Lots of new friends, young and old were made! 

I don't get to Shenandoah NP too often because of volume, but I can't wait to get back!

3:29 p.m. on April 12, 2016 (EDT)
6,368 reviewer rep
1,191 forum posts

That is some nasty "Spring" weather, but at least you got a few days in. Was thinking of you when that front came through because it was howling up here. Glad you didn't decide to be a tough guy and freeze anything important off.

Looks like you got a few nice views. Thanks for sharing those!

4:42 p.m. on April 12, 2016 (EDT)
1,679 reviewer rep
705 forum posts

Thanks for the trip report Sean (note to self: never go to Shanandoah National Park before May).

4:45 p.m. on April 12, 2016 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,849 forum posts

Yeah you were out when the weather changed..It took off part of my shed...Nice pic's and come back for sure...I be out there this week.

March 21, 2018
Quick Reply