Florida Springs West

12:21 p.m. on April 18, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,933 reviewer rep
1,988 forum posts

We had such a good time exploring Florida springs last year that we decided to do it again for Susan's Birthday trip, but this time we stayed more or less on the west side.

I may not remember them all but we hit: Rainbow, Ichetucknee, Poe, Ginnie, Blue Springs,  Weeki Watchie, Baired and some unnamed springs that locals told us about. We paddled Ichetucknee and all around the Chassahowitzka and we saw the classic Weeki Watchie Mermaid show.

We also stayed in some unusual places (for me) including the Grady House BnB in High Springs and our first Air BnB which was an Olive Grove in Brooksville.

But I'll start with a short video. The first few frames are me swimming through an underground cave which took a surprising amount of courage as it turned out. Though only under water for a few seconds it's very different when you are surrounded by rock and 8 feet down!

And here are a few random pictures for fun:

20170401_202216-L.jpgThe Grady House BnB

20170401_184518-L.jpg
Salmon at the Outdoor Restaurant in High Springs

DSCN1213-L.jpg
Approaching Rainbow Springs main spring well

DSCN1228-L.jpg
Our first paddle of the trip on the Ichetucknee

DSCN1246-L.jpg
Water Fowl

DSCN1253-L.jpg
And sunning turtles

DSCN1268-L.jpg
A freighted possum encountered on night hike along the banks of the Santa Fe River.

20170403_180043-L.jpg
Our first Air BnB was the Olive Grove Getaway (an A frame cabin actually in a working Olive Grove)

DSCN1279-L.jpg
Tying up our rented tandem after a long paddle on the Chassowitzka and Baird spring run so we can walk the rest of the way to the grotto.

DSCN1281-L.jpg
Nice trail huh?

DSCN1295-L.jpg

DSCN1292-L.jpg
Happy people

DSCN1300-L.jpg
We finished up the trip with some salt water snorkeling from Pine Island but after Susan saw a small shark our enthusiasm waned. :)

Happy Trails! er, Paddles and Snorkels that is.

12:51 p.m. on April 18, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,434 reviewer rep
1,358 forum posts

Wow! I never knew I wanted to visit Florida Springs! Just gorgeous.

5:59 p.m. on April 18, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,784 forum posts

Pat, you're getting soft! That trip actually looks and sounds like relaxation!

Ed

10:09 a.m. on April 19, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,933 reviewer rep
1,988 forum posts

haha thanks guys

Vince, yeah the springs are pretty fun and worth seeing. There are over 1000 of them so I've read and some are established and built up and others are wild.

Ed,

Sometimes we make decisions in the interest of domestic tranquility. :) But yes it was a totally relaxing thing to do...

3:30 p.m. on April 19, 2017 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,784 forum posts

Domestic tranquility (hers) is a side benefit of my trips.  My company is like whiskey: best sipped in small quantities, versus living off the stuff.

Ed

August 20, 2017
Quick Reply