Mt Tecumseh NH, 25 November 2017

1:47 p.m. on November 26, 2017 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
253 forum posts

Yesterday I hiked Mt Tecumseh NH with 13 other members of the 4 Seasons Hiking Group, a Meetup group I recently joined. It was my first outing with the group but it won’t be my last! It was a lot of fun, well-organized but not overly so. 

Mt Tecumseh is #48 on the NH4K list at 4003 feet, but there was a fair amount of work involved to gain the summit. Over the 2.5 mile trail you gain about 2200 feet, and some stretches are fairly steep. 

We arrived at the trailhead for 0900 yesterday, and within 15 minutes everyone was geared up and we moved out. The day was as close to perfect as can be, with a bright sunny sky and temps right around 30 without a lot of wind. After maybe 1/4 mile we stopped to de-layer (except for me, I would have been hiking bare-chested in that case and it wasn’t quite warm enough for that!) 

Within 3/4 mile there was enough snow that we stopped to put on spikes, and they were definitely needed as we went higher. The snow smoothed out some rough spots but also made stair-step rocks a little less level, so care was necessary. 

As we got near the summit the trees opened up a little bit, allowing the sun to soften the snow which made it ball up on spikes. Kicking a tree or rock knocked it off, but one time I had a good buildup of ice on mine and didn’t know it till I put that foot on a rock. Down I went, knocking my other (bad) knee against a rock. There was no damage and within a few minutes I was feeling no lingering effects. One other person face-planted as well. 

The crew at the summit. 

28FB9FC8-BDAA-4C8B-9423-AED74E8FBE7D.jpg
A059455E-7F90-4AEF-A8F8-6BB6D591DAA3.jpg
Snow-capped Mt Washington and the Southern Presidentials. 

99D016D9-8D18-4985-93AE-9B5ECD2E3550.jpgA view to the northeast. 

9867A14E-64E8-4FF4-AA89-B0CEC96E8860.jpg
Mt Tripyramid viewed from the west. 

ECE893CE-1236-40DA-95F5-81FB16FB23EA.jpg
Finally some snow! Too bad I had to drive almost 2.5 hours from home for it. 

18150F01-2842-47DE-930B-B6DF96107479.jpg

3:03 p.m. on November 26, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,194 reviewer rep
1,144 forum posts

Every minute we stay in this house eating leftovers we get weaker and every minute Phil is bagging peaks he gets stronger.  Each time I looked at his report my belt moved in a little tighter.

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering where the snow line might be and this gives me some idea.

3:04 p.m. on November 26, 2017 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
253 forum posts

One thing I decided yesterday is that when I die, I want to come back as a dog whose owner loves to hike. There can’t be too many things better. 

1:18 p.m. on December 16, 2017 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
3,041 forum posts

Hiking with a group is a whole different experience.  I like to talk with people about trees and have some discussion about the vegetation and wildlife. Mostly I hike solo or with one other person.  It makes observations much easier. 

11:10 a.m. on December 17, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
878 forum posts

One of the two NH 4000ers I never quite got around to doing in all my NH years -- saving it for my old age!

I went on a Meetup hike last Sunday with about 11 others to Pusch Peak. All were string hikers, we went up the rough and sometimes loose trail at a pretty good clip. One hiker brought a couple pints of ice cream to share at the top. On the way down I fell in with a (early-) retired air force IT guy from West Virginia. He let on as to how back in WV he was a lonely liberal in a sea conservatives. The conversation turned philosophical. He's very thoughtful guy, reading Aristotle and the like, and I hope to hike with him again. Like ppine I go it alone or with my wife or a friends or two, but I enjoy the occasional outing with a group of like-minded (or -legged and -lunged) strangers. You may know where you're going on the map, but you have no idea where you'll end up with all those other folks...

9:39 p.m. on December 18, 2017 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
253 forum posts

It’s definitely different with a group, I like to be able to stop and take pics any time I want but then I have to catch up. The reason is so we aren’t out after dark, that doesn’t bother me one bit either for the dark or the temp. Besides, there are a lot of pretty ladies in the group. :)

1:49 p.m. on January 9, 2018 (EST)
MEDIA
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

January 16, 2018
Quick Reply