About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hiking in Maine

6:17 p.m. on October 12, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

The fall foliage is peaking in the K.I. (Katadin Iron Works, Brownville, Maine) area. Water level is low, no recent sightings of moose, bear have been run in the area, birds are few. Moose season if over today, bear is currently being hunted, coyote are around in the mts. area. Still cool nights,days are still warm for hiking. Chairback/Whitecap are still good over night hikes w/Gulf Hagas good for a day hike.

12:15 p.m. on November 23, 2002 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts
Re: Hiking the K.I. area in Maine

Quote:

Deer season is almost over. Plenty of big bucks taken in K.I. area. Logging is heavy still in this area. Snow of 10"+ in K.I. area, river area is 4". Old railroad bed from Brownville Jct.to K.I. not good enough for x-country skies/snowsleds yet. Recent rains have raised water levels, heavy winds expected this weekend, expect blowdowns on all trails/roads in K.I. area.

11:43 a.m. on January 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Hiking the K.I. area in Maine

Quote:

Quote:

On January 3, of this year we had an unfortunate hiking accident in the Gulf Hagas area, w/a man and his adult daughter. The man died from the injuries he sustained in a fall of aprox. 100ft.after slipping on the ice covered trail. The daughter was not injured/nor could she save her father or render aid. A reminder that this area in winter should only be hiked w/experience in ice climbing w/the proper training and equipment and not alone. There was a heavy ice/rain a few days before and this should of NOT been attempted. His body was airlifted out by helicopter by search and rescue of the 112 Medevac Squadron from Bangor.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply