Dolly Sods North, WV

7:26 p.m. on October 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I just did 3 days / 15 miles on Dolly Sods North, WV. I thought some of you might enjoy the pics.

Here is where we went;
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id188.html

Here are the pics
http://flickr.com/search/show/?q=sods+north&w=18931025%40N00&m=tags

This was pretty easy for a 15 mile hike, not a lot of elevation change. You stay on top of the mountain the whole time. The weather went up to 55 in the daytime but down to 30 at night and I still managed to get sun burn.
enjoy the pics

8:24 p.m. on October 16, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Hey Eric,

The wife and I were going to do Dolly Sods this weekend but are going to have to stick closer to home and hit Mt. Marshall instead.

We plan on doing the Dolly Sods when we can both pull a three or 4 day weekend since its about 4-5 hours for us to get there.

Could you give a narrative of the hike? The pics look beautiful but if you could weave a tale of your experience it would be greatly appreciated.

7:28 p.m. on October 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Some of those shots are so much like the Scot highlands. How did the trails seem for someone to ride a mountain bike? This is assuming that bikes are permitted...

7:56 p.m. on October 20, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Yeah, mountain bikes are permitted and I did see two guys riding the trails.

As far as the hike, it was a bit easier than I expected. The hike starts at the top of the mountain and and there isnt very much elevation change. Most of the hike is along rocky peaks and grassy meadows, not much woods of streams like in the central part of Dolly Sods. Another main diffrence is that the trail junctions are all marked in the north, this made the hike very easy to navigate.
The weather ranged between 35 at night and about 55 at mid day. I managed to get sunburn on my nose and the back of my neck, this was mainly due to the lack of shade along the trail. The high winds in the whole area pretty much never stop too.
I didnt see much wildlife but did hear a pack of coyotes at night and had a dear huff and puff at me. (I think the dear was asleep behind my tent and I woke him up, he wasnt pleased).
Dolly Sods north is a good 3 day trip. If you have more time, you can follow the Red Creek trail down to the central area. I would recomend this area to anybody.

Not sure if you guys saw on the news but an austistic teen got lost in the Dolly sods last week. He went missing on the last day I was there and wasnt found till a few days ago.

10:16 a.m. on October 21, 2007 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Wow, thanks for sharing! I want to go to WV now!

12:35 p.m. on October 29, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Mt. Biking at Dolly Sods ranges from fire roads to rocky hike-a-bike. My bud and I went out a few weeks ago for 4.5 hours and I would say we were in the saddle only 2 hours - the rest was too rocky to ride for us. We had full suspension and have raced so we are too whimpy. It definitely got my rock downhill skills in shape but count on a lot of bike carrying unless you are a pro.

Totally beautiful but much much more technical than
Cannain.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply