Babu hikes Kili

2:33 p.m. on December 28, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,270 forum posts

I just got back last night from hiking Kilimanjaro. I emphasize "hike" because that's what it was. It isn't a climb, although a challenging hike. But it was "super-luxo", with porters carrying all the gear (except rain gear, camera, lunch, water), a cook preparing huge meals of very high quality and way too much quantity), and a guide pacing me up the hill (the guide, cook, and porter are required by Tanzanian law). For me, it was pretty easy, though I became well-known to all the guides and porters of the many parties on the route as "Babu" (Swahili for "respected grandfather" or "wise elder" according to my Swahili phrasebook), along with many comments on how strong I was (I think that referred to my aroma after the first day in the 80-90 deg F, 80% humidity). Apparently I did travel a bit faster than the standard times on the various sections, and there were a lot of much younger folks who turned back with altitude problems (I don't ever seem to have problems with altitude).

Before the hike, Barb and I did a photo safari, during which we shot some 2000 photos of the various critters - the Big Five of lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and black rhino, plus cheetah, giraffe, various antelope, hyena, jackal, and many many kinds of birds.

I will do a more complete writeup later and post it somewhere. I will say that was the most luxo camping I have ever done, with superb food.

2:58 p.m. on December 28, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

""Babu" (Swahili for "respected grandfather" or "wise elder" "

Yea, right Bill. You keep believing that.

In fact, "Babu" is the alias for Pablo Marquez, a WWE wrestler.

7:10 p.m. on January 2, 2008 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,270 forum posts

The Department of Transportation has issued a directive that became active yesterday, concerning spare batteries - http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html . It seems that, had I returned just 4 days later, I would have been in violation of this directive. Basically, you can have lithium rechargeable batteries in your widgets, but are limited to 2 spare batteries (2 total, not 2 per device), which must be in your carry-on, packaged separately in sealed plastic bags (the canonical 1 quart ziplock?) or its original retail packaging. You may have the widgets with their batteries installed in your checked luggage (but DoT advises against putting your laptop or other expensive items in checked luggage) or carry-on, but the 2 spare batteries may NOT be in checked luggage, only in the carry-on. It seems that there have been 2 cases worldwide of lithium rechargeable batteries getting accidentally shorted and causing fires, one in a FedEx cargo plane, the other in another cargo plane sitting on the ground.

Since I had 2 extra batteries each for the 2 DSLRs, plus 1 for the photostorage unit, plus 2 sets (2 each) for the Steripen and 2 spares for one of the GPS receivers (the other takes AA batteries), I was a bit in excess. Oh, do not take those spare AA and AAA lithium batteries in your checked luggage - that is forbidden, apparently, according to the table DoT provides. You can apparently have them installed in your headlamp, though.

9:50 p.m. on January 2, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Can you imagine the headache this is going to give professional photographers?

We are little kids and the government is mandating our safty.

George Orwells 1984 coming to fruition one liberty at a
time.

2 incedents of batteries shorting in the millions of flights a year and we have a new regualtion.

Unreal if you ask me, I am getting sick of it.

6:44 a.m. on January 3, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

If you ever saw the aftermath of an airplane fire and then consider what it would be like if it occurred in flight, you wouldn't be complaining.

7:20 a.m. on January 3, 2008 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

as an ex-professional photographer, I don't think this is a big deal.

I would simply bring along good 'ole copper top alkaline batteries.

4:49 p.m. on January 3, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

I hear you Adam but cosndier this;

There were around 9,000,000 US flights last year, 2 shorts occurred on CARGO planes...
That is a .00002 occurrence rate...on cargo planes and 0% occurrence on passenger planes - does that really warrant a new regulation? (the math does not add up here unless you break down cargo to passenger ratios but heck, I am trying to make a point so just ignore that fact)

There has been a recent spate of laptop fires, why have they not forbidden laptops from planes?

Because it would be much to difficult, corporations would lobby hard against such a rule.

Regulating batteries was easy and allows them to justify their existence as a government agency and tell us they are making the world a safer place.

4:57 p.m. on January 3, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Babu,

Where is the trip report?

Sorry for my anti government regulation rant in your thread :)

7:25 p.m. on January 3, 2008 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,270 forum posts

I'm working on it, I'm working on it. But sorting 2400 images down to what will fit in a Trailspace News report and condensing a bit over 2 weeks of non-stop excitement takes a bit of time. I would post a few photos as teasers, if we could post photos on this site. Or, you could go to www.thegba.net and look under the "Out of Area" forum (that's the web site of The Geocachers of the Bay Area, a gathering of geocachers in the San Francisco Bay Area http://www.thegba.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3307 ). There are about a dozen photos I have stuck on there. I don't remember if you have to register to look at the forums or not. But the writeup here will be more complete and extensively illustrated (if Dave and Alicia let me get away with it).

9:01 p.m. on January 3, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
941 forum posts

Quote:

But the writeup here will be more complete and extensively illustrated (if Dave and Alicia let me get away with it).

We'd be honored.

9:53 a.m. on January 4, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Absolutely, Bill!

12:09 p.m. on January 4, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

cargo is cargo whether it's on a pax flight or a cargo flight. Both have very limited ability to control a fire in the cargo bays with lots of varaibles that affect their performance.

argue it all you want but it's the rule now.

ag
20 years in aviation maitenance

4:07 p.m. on January 4, 2008 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Thanks adam,

BS
41 years - passenger

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply