Tonto Trail Nov'2008

11:28 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I just finished the trip report for my Grand Canyon Tonto Trail backpacking last November. I was out 9 days to hike from South Bass to New Hance.

It is three rather large files; due to the embedded photos.

You can find it here:
http://cid-12c136b9ad0945e4.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=3

Use the download feature.

I hope you enjoy it. Steve

11:02 a.m. on January 9, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

I once spent 28 days hiking the Grand Canyon from the South Bass to the Tanner and out to Desert View near Lipon Point along the Tonto, with side trips to Elves Chasm, the Royal Arches, Cottonwood Camp,the North Rim, Clear Creek Canyon, Horseshoe Mesa and the Little Colorado River.
I cached four food caches before the trip. One at Hermit Beach, the next at Phantom Ranch, next at 75 Mile Canyon and the last at Tanner Camp.
I spent 20 years from 1983 to 2003 hiking the canyon on as much as 6 months of the year actual hiking, from October to March.
I really like the Tonto and all its side canyons. Many are easily accessable and some require route finding like getting down Horn Canyon.

11:23 a.m. on January 9, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Awesome. 28 days is a REAL experience vs. my 9. I skipped the Escalante and Tanner exit, to make the trip to Clear Creek. Also, given my itinerary didn't do much up/down exploration of the side canyons.

11:24 a.m. on January 9, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

I posted a text only version of the trip report here:
http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=953107219;t=9991116528;st=0;r=1;&;

Should be easier than the download, but no photos. Steve

1:54 a.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Steve, read the whole report. Absolutely one of the best trip reports I have read. Almost felt like I was there with you.

3:34 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Thanks for the kind word and glad you enjoyed it. I started writing trip reports of my longer hikes a few years ago. They help me to relive the hikes from time to time, and hopefully allow others to share the experience as well.

3:36 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

6:18 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

Again How do you/I post a picture to the forum post area? Great picture above of the canyon! Thats from near the head of the South Kaibab, is'nt it? I once followed a route described by Harvey Butchart ( who started hiking the canyon around 1945, when he started working at NAU in Flagstaff as a math Professor) along the top of the redwall in the lower center of the picture around to come out at east of Shoshoni Point. Found a old Big Horn Sheep skull about halfway along the edge.
Ever read The Man who walked through Time, by Colin Fletcher? He walked from Hasasupai to and out the North rim after 3 months in the canyon around 1963. Great read. He also wrote a book called The River about his trip starting at Green River Lakes here in Wyoming and paddled a 2 man raft alone all the way to Yuma Arizona, down the Green and Colorado Rivers in 1996.

7:43 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

The picture was taken at the South Bass trailhead. You can access my trip photos here.

Refer to the formatting options link for how to post pics and do text formatting. For photos you type "[" "img" "]" followed by the url of your photo and then finish with "[" "/img" "]" Leave no spaces and drop the quotes.

Steve

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply