Camping

11:37 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

I was just calculating that since I started traveling,hiking and camping 32 years ago this June I have spent over 7000 nights camping around the USA from Alaska to Arkansas,Califorina to New Hampshire and have only worked 4000 working mainly here in Jackson Hole.

So I guess I like the outdoors better than the indoors?

8:36 a.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

So I guess I like the outdoors better than the indoors?

That's because the company is usually better!

4:44 p.m. on March 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I live outdoors in my tent year around-Spring through Winter. No joke. Right now I'm camping at the Lamping Homestead Recreational Area here in Ohio's Wayne National Forest.

I haven't lived in a house since March 31st of 2007.

Don't miss living indoors one bit.

6:23 p.m. on March 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

That great! I will soon be camping in April down the Escalante River canyon in Utah then bike touring and looking for a summer job along the way.

12:34 a.m. on March 19, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

At one time I could have lived that way, then I had kids.

Well, they're almost grown and although I don't wish to hike the AT anymore, I would like to live out for an extended time. The longest so far has been three months on an Island. I learned a lot about myself and how to blend in both tactically and mentally. You learn to do what works and how to be comfortable after a while.

You learn a lot!

1:37 p.m. on March 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I love the Wayne National Forest. Plenty of great camping areas here-alot are cost-free.

Lamping Homestead is very good. Plenty of white pines to pitch a tent under. A friend came to join me camping for a few weeks. Appreciate the company to be quite honest. Someone to talk to and hike with.

10:23 a.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I lived in my van in the University's parking for a semester. I just couldn't settle with the idea of having a fixed address, roommates, phone, tv, after a few years of bumming around the world. That was the kind of transition i needed.

But then again it's harder to pick up girls living in a van, so i moved in with my girlfriend! ;)

I miss it a bit though, the freedom of hitch-hiking wherever you want, sleeping in a different spot everyday, meeting new (and sometimes very weird) people...just being totally self-sufficient. It's a great feeling.

1:20 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Franc, I like your post. I can relate to what you just said first-hand. I too lived in my car, which proved to be very uncomfortable and very hot in the summer months. After four months of that my friend up in Wisconsin suffered me to camp in his mother-in-law's backyard in Mazomanie (Wisconsin) while working at Devil's Lake. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2115326730055403717sKKaWv

From my experience, the tent is way more comfortable than the car! Afterall I have a Mitsubishi Mirage S model, two-door coupe. Very small.

4:33 p.m. on March 20, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

My plans have changed a little, I am now going to Zion NP to hike, then seek work and/or go southeast to Mt Carmel, Kanab, the Paria,and then Page near Lake Powell looking for work along the way

11:46 p.m. on March 27, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

GaryPalmer, I am jealous.

10:33 p.m. on April 28, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Actually now I am in Flagstaff Az, I was in Zion a while tho. I would have been a Mountainman or Indian if I was alive 150 years ago. I believe I was an Anazasi at one time in another previous life or a Cro-magnon. My great grandmother on my fathers side was Mohawk Indian around Lake Ontario New York or Canada.

1:03 a.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

So I have to ask... if you guys are living out (or maybe just ministercreek), how do you deal with the things the rest of us just don't do when we're camping, like showering? I mean, I assume you have to go to work, which would mean that you have to be relatively nasty-free most days.

Also, how do you get mail? A PO box? I think I saw minister talking about ordering gear in another thread... I thought you couldn't usually have online purchases shipped to a PO box?

What do you do for things like bank accounts where they want a street address?

1:04 a.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

minister: how do you log on to trailspace? is there wifi at the place you're camped or do you just go to an internet cafe or the library or what?

2:36 p.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Well for showers I pay $2 a day at a hostel in town.

As for mail here in Flagstaff I get my mail at my job they are nice enough to let me do that. On the road or trail I use General Delivery. I often do what I call "traveling by mail" when I do a bicycle tour for instance where I am traveling thousands of miles I only carry the few things I really need like my tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad and water bottles, and tool kit for the bike.. I often do what I call a bike/hike tour where I will choose rides that take me thru areas I want to hike too. Then I mail my backpack and other camping gear I don't use on the bike tour like my stove and cook gear (I eat canned food on the bike tour, carrying a small can opener P38 and my spork).

I don't order anything on the road from mailorder places.

As far as a bank account I usually keep my money in the same bank (Wells Fargo) and have my old mailing address. I put in changes of address if I need my mail sent to me, but I don't get much snail mail, just email. My bank statements are paperless online statements. I use my bank check card on the road. If I need more mney than I can withdraw for some rare reason, I just go to any Wells Fargo on the road.

In an average summer I earn enough to live on from September to May during the off season. I only have worked an average of 4 months a year since 1980. So in 28 years I have only worked about 9 1/3 years. In an average year I earn about $5000 after taxes. For tax purposes in the spring I have my mail forwarded to me somewhere to do them, then use turbotax and have any refunds put in the bank direct deposit.

I am a cook by trade. last year I made $13.00 an hour in Jackson Hole, but worked all winter too so I would be better off this summer.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply