Raining like hell in Flagstaff AZ

9:08 p.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Just wanted to report that is raining like a S.O.B. in Flagstaff Az. For three days now it has been falling from the sky like in was June or some Monsoon season. Was going camping this weekend down in the West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon, but I think we'll stay away from that narrow canyon. Might get carried away by a flash flood. Probably be like wading a swamp after all this rain anyway.

Besides I am already camping in this rain and tired of it. I found a place in town finally to move into "indoors". Been camping in a big tent for over a month in a guys backyard for over a month now. Was okay in the warm sunny air and dry nights. had a little snow in the beginning back in early April.

This rain is supposed to come in late June during the summer Monsoon season. Anyway I hope it stops soon!

1:17 a.m. on May 23, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

I hate to tell you this, Gary, but Monday is Memorial Day - June is just about here! I grew up in Central AZ, and we had rains just about every month. Not every year, mind you, and only occasional ones, except during the summer monsoon season. Good thing about the desert, though - things dry out really fast. Not quite as fast in Flag or at the Canyon. But still, it stays pretty dry (except that Phoenix and the Sun Valley was around 10-15% humidity when I was growing up there, but was typically more like 25-30% when I would visit my mother during the late '80s, thanks to all the tenderfeet and Eastern dudes who had moved to Arizona and figured they needed green lawns like they had back East, so they water their lawns all the time, which lowers the water table so much that around Tucson, the land is subsiding, with giant cracks appearing in the ground (this is not a mad-up story - Tucson has had to put in severe water usage restrictions since the 1970s because of the subsidence).

10:26 p.m. on May 23, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Well we went camping today but tried to go to West Clear Creek instaed and still got rained out. We did hike about 5 miles in from the east side and it was really muddy, lots of people in there getting stuck, including us twice. Both time luckily someone was closeby with a 4x4 pickup to help pull us out.

2:53 p.m. on May 24, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I was in hellsgate and cut my trip short cuz of rain. It made for kind of a brutal trip out. fun though..

9:35 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I wish it would stop raining here in New England. A day of sunshine is like the coming of some god.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply