09-11-01. Were you out on the trail on this date?

7:52 a.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I was, sort of.

8 years ago, on this date, I was on the North Lookout of Hawk Mountain w/ a group of 6th graders from LB Morris Elementary School. It was such a beautiful, clear day. Not a cloud in the sky. I didn't even know anything had happened until we got back to the car around noon and heard the reports on NPR. The very first thing I heard was that Disney world was being evacuated. I remember thinking "What the hell is going on?!"
Because were were looking into the sky all morning, we DID notice an absence of air traffic that day. Of course, now we know why.

Never Forget.

11:03 a.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

I was in the Grand canyon and had been for almost a week and was in for another two before I came out. I was hiking from the South Bass trailhead up the canyon and out the Tanner Trail with side trips to the North Rim, Clear Creek and the Little Colorado. After about a week I had not run into anyone and so I did not know it had happened. I did note that no tourist scenic flights were going over (niether plane nor helicopter) and also there were no commercial jets either. It was almost the end of the month before I came out. And I actually did not find out about the infamous day until a month later, when I was back in Flagstaff picking up new supplies. I used to spend at least 3-4 weeks in the canyon back then and when I came out, it would be no more than the next day before I would go back in. I talked to very few people in between and usually avoided contact in the backcountry. I prefered the solitude after spending the summers working around thousands of tourists everyday in Jackson Hole.

7:24 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Nope I was home, It was my first day of a layoff. I just so happened to turn on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit, I will never forget it. Then about 15 minutes later my mother called me frantically telling me to "turn on the TV and the channel doesn't matter"

My hart goes out the the family's directly affected on that tragic day

It was a Infuriating day, I will never Forget or Forgive there cowardly actions.

Whoo-rah to the brave sole on flight 93 who said no you are not.

7:57 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I was at work, it is something I will never forget.

I have several friends in uniform, a couple are very close friends. It's funny how what they tell me differs so much from what you get through the media.

I also will not let it slide (terrorism), apathy is your own worst enemy.

Everyone (reasonable folk) wants peace, the sad fact is you can't have anything that resembles peace until you get rid of the bad guys. Another sad fact is that way too many people are confused about who the bad guys are, or whether we should do anything about it or not. Geez...cowboy up already!

Just my 2 cents

11:09 p.m. on September 11, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Mike068
"Whoo-rah to the brave sole on flight 93 who said no you are not."

Damn straight brother.

10:17 a.m. on September 18, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

No. But, on the first anniversary a group organized an event in New Hampshire to have American flags carried to all the summits of the 48 peaks of 4000' or higher.

http://www.flagsonthe48.org/

7:14 p.m. on September 18, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

I was in my Cabelas basecamp 12x12 foot Xtreme weather tent next to Chickasaw Creek in Tennessee when I woke up and got stuff squared away and I flipped on NPR on my little battery powered radio and heard the news. For the next week I slept out under totally silent skies, just like during the Blizzard of '93.

1:01 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

I was in Virginia. I was coming home from an early appointment and heard about the second plane hitting and knew something was up. I thought the first was just a little piper cub or Cherokee so thought nothing of it.. I went home flipped on CNN and saw the second plane hit. A few minutes later, I felt the concussion of the impact on the Pentagon, called my now ex-wife and she could see the pentagon burning from the roof of her office. I told her to go home and pack a duffel bag. I drove like a banshee outa hell to my kids school and scooped them up before they locked them down. I made it just in time as there was so much confusion at the time as to what was going on, they had not locked down yet. We all met back at the house, threw the duffel back in the back of the car and got out of DC before the whole city evacuated and caused massive gridlock. If you remember there were rumors about explosions and fires on the mall, all later proven to be just that rumors. At the time it was intense. I truly felt like we were under attack, we did not know if there were chemical or biological agents on the planes or how many more planes were taken over. We drove 2 hours south to the sleepy little town of lively VA where my mom and dad had a house on the river. We camped out there for a week until we felt safe again.

What a terrible day that was. Innocents slaughtered in the name of Islam. When we got back home my next door neighbor brought me over a huge tray of food, he and his wife and children are Muslim. He is the nicest, most gentle man you will ever meet. He had tears in his eyes and said he was sorry, that these people are evil and do not know what it is to me Muslim. I felt bad for him, that he had to defend his religion because of some extremist nuttjobs. We were all pretty uneducated on the subject at the time and some less than intelligent people were lashing out verbally and physically to people who were from the middle east. I think we have come a long way since that time and have figured out who the real enemy is. It is not Muslims or people who choose to pray to Allah, but it is the extremest who have bastardized the religion to fit there extremist objectives.

2:29 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I agree! Many of them (extremists) also criticize the west for capitalism, when they themselves make billions in the opium trade to fund their operations, and accept billions in oil money profits from individuals in neighboring countries that sympathize with their cause. They are both cowards and hypocrites and you can not reason with them or turn your back on them. Their goal is a one world Theocracy where they make and enforce the rules. This is what they have stated.

I also have a couple Muslim friends who are fine people. Actually one of them is an American Vet who is disabled and sells boiled peanuts at a roadside stand. He and I are different, but we are Americans together and enjoy our freedoms here in this country.

I think that I will plan a hiking trip next year on the weekend closest to 9-11 just to take some time and reflect on the tragedy.

I'm glad f klock started this thread and made me think about a trip next year.

5:16 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I was in 6th grade and at about 9:00(give or take 15 mins) the principal came on the PA telling us that a plane had just struck one of the twin towers. Shortly after followed a moment of silence. The whole day I thought it was a small private plane and that it was a pilot error, a complete accident. when I got home I see my brother watching CNN where there was full coverage and commentary. The politics about it were too hard for a 6th grader to comprehend but I am much enlightened now.

While this is a subject of terrorism, I would like to bring up the Lockerbie bomber's release in scotland that happened about a month or 2 ago. I'm not sure if there has already been a thread on this.. But nevertheless, there are few subjects that infuriate me more than this one. Here's a link about the bomber's release-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/20/lockerbie-bomber-released

I heard on the news that they were releasing him to say 'goodbye' to his family. Now what strikes a nerve here is that the 270 people he killed had NO COMPASSIONATE TIME to say goodbye to their loved ones. But that rat bastard is being released because he is about to die of prostate cancer? I think it is a complete mockery of A. the justice system and B. moral conduct. The scottish are blocking out the crime he committed and focusing on his illness. What he did was unforgivable and deserves to rot in his cell until his god-willing painful death.

12:19 a.m. on October 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

We were in a campground in the Redwoods. We heard people talking about some very strange things and asked what was going on.

What an amazing contrast. The deep peace of the ancient beings and new levels of human insanity.

I am grateful we were there.

12:39 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I was home preparing to leave to resupply friends on the JMT.

On the next day I met her and husband at Kearsarge Lakes. I asked if they would be ok with any bad news just as they were near the end of the hike. They, of course, were astounded.

She took the screaming headlined newspapers (LA Times and Pasadena Star) I brought along, hiked back to Rae Lakes to deliver them to the ranger and returned that afternoon - nice bit of a day hike.

There were the usual other hikers on their way out on the trail who flippantly wanted to know if the world had disappeared or had we gone to war since they had left 2-10 days before -- since they were completely without any knowledge of what had happened since they left. I think that, with those comments and reactions, it brought home that it was the beginning of the end of the naive world as we knew it then.

Another memory of that short trip, I had brought along a large ice cooled container of an Arabic Salad - (Tabbouleh) made mainly of bulgar wheat and parsley. To my amazement she ate almost all of it. She is about 5ft and almost 100 pounds. They had taken the 'long' tour of the JMT using up about 25 days to get to Kearsarge Lakes.

We didn't realize then that there were no civilian aircraft to disturb the Sierra. Didn't occur to us.

When I returned the next day to cell-space, my wife caught me on my cell while I was passing through Independence. She said she had spent the last few nights with friends. She said that a few very disturbed folks were taking it out on innocent (dark skinned - mostly US citizens) store owners in some parts of Southern California area. So I joined her and a few others who were camped out in chairs in front of a neighborhood family owned market. Not sure any of us could have done anything about a determined assault (I think one of us had nail clippers), but we got all the soft drinks we could consume so long as we hung out. The owners are a nice family with a bunch of kids all going to college due to persistence and hard work at the market. Would not want anything unpleasant to pass their way.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply