Blanco Shoals Hike

6:26 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Today, my dog Achilles and I went out on a hike here in San Marcos, TX. We decided to check out Blanco Shoals which is an 80 acre nature preserve that is part of the local Greenbelt Alliance. This area rides along the northern end of San Marcos and follows the Blanco River. The area was not the most beautiful area I have hike and was muddy in some spots but was a nice hike none the less. We saw a lot of cardinals and other nice birds but that was about it as far as wildlife goes. I saw several deer tracks along the main path and even one print that looked like it belonged to a large cat. I will post pictures below.

6:28 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

9:20 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hey Stodknocker,

Welcome to the site.

I'm glad you and Achilles got to go for a hike!

Is your dog Lab & Staffordshire?

Also the paw print you show is Canine.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, have you been to any other places in TX yet?

9:59 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Hey Trout, thanks for the welcome! I do not have any papers on Achilles but I was told that we he was straight Staffordshire when I got him. I have not been to too many places here in Texas yet. I have been to Bastrop State Park which is about 30 minutes east of Austin. It is a really nice park with actual wilderness that reminds me of being back east. The woods reminded me of Ft. Benning, Georgia and some of its training areas. I am looking to make a trip to Big Bend NP sometime early this spring. The temps down here are so nice that you basically do not have an off season with 3-season gear. The only off season would be the summer because it's so hot!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply