About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Mount Mitchell State Park, North Carolina

11:43 a.m. on November 16, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I put in about four miles yesterday. Felt like 10.

Writeup at my hiking blog.

This can be an excellent locale if the weather cooperates. Yesterday was about as good as it gets: high 60s, sunny, not much wind, views stretching out forever.

9:48 p.m. on November 16, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Wow, things have changed a bit since I was there. I read your blog, nice trip report & great photos to boot!

Thanks for sharing the clear, beautiful day you had.

I would differ on one point, I like summiting in foul weather, but your advise is probably best for the average hiker looking to enjoy themselves. The weather in the area can change quickly and does catch people off guard.

As far as the rough terrain, if you view the Appalachians from a distance, they almost have a gentle rolling slope look, but that is just the tree tops. The actual terrain can be quite rough and even tick you off at times, it has made me upset before I'll admit. Oh...and those slippery, mossy rocks!

11:37 a.m. on November 17, 2009 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

The most depressing part to me are the fine views and the high elevations but available and open to the fat-encrusted rolling couch potatoes on "motored nature loops" and mountaintop roads. I hope there's still some places still hard to reach and therefore earn.

7:34 a.m. on November 18, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

These high-point parking lots were apparently quite popular in years past -- Mount Washington in the Whites has one; Mount Diablo in the Bay Area has one; and then there's Klingman's Dome and Pikes Peak.

I agree they're annoying, but they're also nice introductions to the peak's topography without having to climb the whole thing the first time. What are there, 40 peaks above 6K in the southern Appalachians? I'd venture a guess there can't be more than a half-dozen with roads to the top.

8:44 a.m. on November 18, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I almost went over to Mitchell on Sunday, but time was too short. I hiked the Profile Trail on Grandfather instead. Not as satisfying as Mitchell, but if you hike really fast, it's a good, short workout.

6:20 p.m. on November 26, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Yes, it is very weird to be on top of Mt. Washington and see hikers humping and breathing heavily as they reach the top as others are getting out of their cars.

I look at it this way: a few roads to the top here and there give others a chance to view the beauty of the mountains and certainly create a few protectors.

6:25 p.m. on November 26, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

A very beautiful sight. Nicely done blog. Thanks.

(Yes, it is very weird to be on top of Mt. Washington and see hikers humping and breathing heavily as they reach the top as others are getting out of their cars.

I look at it this way: a few roads to the top here and there give others a chance to view the beauty of the mountains and certainly create a few protectors.)

10:30 a.m. on December 20, 2009 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

"I look at it this way: a few roads to the top here and there give others a chance to view the beauty of the mountains and certainly create a few protectors.)"

My sentiments, too.

Here's what a fellow hiker ate lunch at the summit of Mt. Washington, NH, on a day spent hiking across the Presidentials: Might as well "go with the flow".

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2388324100045831896lvVDXD

Ever notice how trip reports brings out comments of other hikers who have enjoyed the same terrain?

In 1956, a 12 year old hiker hiked up to the summit of Mt. Mitchell with a camp group. A lifetime enjoyment of hiking was kindled. Many years later he returned there to share the view and remember with his mother by car.

We also road to a place call Blowing Rock where my mother told how her father used to throw off his hat over the edge to watch it be blown back like a spinning boom a rang. Anyone know where that is? Is it in NC or VA?

A short .1 mi. spur off the AT in NC leads to a fire tower on the top of a summit, also reachable by car. From the tower top Mt Mitchell can be seen in the distance. Rich Mt. (c. 3550') about 8 miles north of Hot Springs, NC. I think.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply