About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Diarries of the Mountain Men

3:16 p.m. on December 21, 2009 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

This link probably belonged in "Off Topic" but trip reports just seemed so much more fitting to me. I've only read a few of them but find it all very interesting and thought some of you might enjoy them also. i think I'm going to save them for some rainy day in the next couple months.

Gary c.

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/mmarch.html

3:32 p.m. on December 21, 2009 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I know it's easy to romance what a grand life a man like this must have lived but it must have been a hard life also.

http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/smeek.html

5:35 p.m. on December 21, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this wealth of knowledge of the mountain men.

I lived and worked in Jackson Hole Wyoming beginning in 1980 every summer and a few winters thru last spring when I came to northern Arizona. JH has a wealth of mtn man and indian museums and historical places. It was named for Davy Jackson. A "Hole" was from a french term for a valley surrounded by mountains which Jackson Hole is. The wind River and Gros ventre mtns line the east, the Yellowstone/Absoroka mtns to the north, the Tetons along its western edge and the Wyoming Range to the south.

John Colter was the first documented Mountain man to see the Yellowstone area (named for the sulpher rock) He called it Colters Hell, and when he first told stories about in in the east about hot steaming water boiling up out of the ground he was disbelieved as many a mountain told great stories of things in the wild. It was'nt until Lewis and Clark sent by Congress to find the west and report on its places did the stories get proved. It took them over many years to take boats up the Mississippi, then the Missouri and the Sanke and Yellowstone and down the Columbia to the Pacific, led by many a native guide. One in paticular was Sacajawia the now famous indian woman who lead and interpreted for them.

There are many fine stories of the mountain men, their lives, riches and problems in the American West.

10:41 p.m. on December 22, 2009 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Cool, thanks

Jim S

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply