Shenandoah NP

12:50 p.m. on March 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

We got lost on our way to a protest in DC and ended up hiking some of the AT in Shenandoah National Park on the way back. The trails were great despite evidence of a recent snow/ice storm. There were a lot of downed trees, but none of them blocked the trail. Kudos to the old-timer with the chainsaw we met at the trailhead. We parked the car and hiked a short loop up to Hawksbill to catch the sunset. From there we took the AT south until we crossed the Skyway and pitched the hammocks in the first decent legal spot we could find. The weather was beautiful, we didn't need the tarps. I drifted off to sleep watching the sea of stars and a waxing crescent moon. We woke before dawn and followed the Skyway back to the car.

10:36 p.m. on March 24, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Love the pictures. I want to get to Shenandoah NP so bad but does not look like that will happen till I graduate from my second trip to college next spring. Thanks for the report.

8:28 a.m. on March 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I was pretty lucky to find the time to squeeze in an overnighter. Although I had to make it up to the girlfriend because I was supposed to hang out with her that night. It's so beautiful out there that we've changed our plans for our annual 6 Day trip from Daniel Boone to Shenandoah. I can't wait to get back there.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply