About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Dayhike around Buffalo Park north of Flagstaff AZ

11:15 a.m. on April 5, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Yesterday I went up to Buffalo Park to see how much snow was left as it had been a few weeks since my last visit there. In early March there was still about 1-2 feet of snow, but yesterday most of it was gone, with just a few small patches of it.

I hiked up the trail going to Mt Elden about 1/3 the way. I stayed close to the huge volcanic boulder area and took these shots of them and some big tree's. The tree shots are sideways as they look dwarfed in normal view. I photostitched them together from shots taken side by side to show their sizes better. The shot of Buffalo Park is false-colored because I had forgotten to turn my camera meter back on when I took the shots.

Some of the large boulder and the tree's in them

A tall pine tree, not sure its a Ponderosa as the bark was total different

A very tall dead Ponderosa, see the difference in the bark?

Close-up on the bark of the tree I did not think was a Ponderosa, any ideas what kind of pine it is?

Very large Volcanic boulder on the western side of Mt Elden

Large dead pine, was about two and a half feet in diameter where I sat on it

False-colored image of Buffalo Park with the San Francisco Peaks and Mt Elden from left to right

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply