John Muir Trail

10:44 a.m. on April 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hello. I too hiked the JMT in 2008 and it was the most incredible thing I have ever done. It inspired my 2011 PCT hike. You haven't lived untill you have been to the sierras. Anyway I just posted my trail journals and hope they can be of some use. I would be happy to anwser any questions.

Do it! John Muir's Range of Light will change your life.

http://elenimonos.wordpress.com/category/the-john-muir-trail/

3:44 p.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
41 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Congrats on your achievment! I have hiked sections of the John Muir Trail but have yet to do it all in one shot. I have hiked the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail twice, 1975 and 1985, the Theodore Solomons Trail in 1976, and the High Sierra Trail in 1987. I agree with you that there is no finer mountain range than the Sierra Nevada and once you have experienced them you spend all the rest of your life trying to go back as often as you can. I am lucky enough to live at Lake Tahoe so I have them all around me, but the true High Sierra are magical.

4:52 p.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Peter, I was born in raised in Lake Tahoe! I am at school in San Francisco right now but plan on getting back to Tahoe as soon as possible. How is the Tahoe Yosemite Trail? "magical" - is indeed the right word.

11:39 p.m. on April 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Trouthunter tells us in another forum area that there is also a John Muir Trail in the Southeast! I knew of the one in the Sierra, but had not known there was one in the SE.

Trouthunter says it is from Louisville KY to Cedar Key FL.

For a picture of the trailhead look at Forum, Off Topic under Favorite Muir Quote..

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_Trail_(Tennessee)

1:25 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

That was an inspiring read and has only served to increase my interest in hitting that trail. I wonder if you can't flip the order of the blog around now so that it reads from start to finish... instead of finish to start. Either way, thanks for sharing!

3:59 p.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
41 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

The Tahoe Yosemite Trail is very beautiful although it does not quite have the grandeur of the Muir Trail. I would say that it is about same as the JMT in the degree of difficulty, you just don't have the the higher elevations to contend with. Also it crosses 4 highways so you can have more resupply points and lighter packs. The last section from Kennedy Meadows to Tuolume Meadows is the most scenic.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply