Hiked Dripping Springs Trail in the Temecula Valley on Sunday

10:50 a.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

This is in the Agua Tibia Wilderness which is part of the Cleveland National Forest in Southern California. A good friend and I drove out there (it is only about 40 minutes from my house) and we arrived at the campground at around 10AM.

Weather was perfect, sunny, nice cool breeze, temps in the low 70s. There is an extended loop you can hike but we didn't have time and it is around 20 miles. We hiked in almost 6 miles and then hiked back out which took the better part of 5 hours (we stopped for lunch and a rest break).

This is a strenuous hike rising from around 1600' above sea level to 4400' above sea level. The trails are fairly well maintained but there are a few areas where you have to watch your step. Views are fantastic, here is a picture I snapped about halfway up. We only encountered 2 other hikers the entire day.

If you turn around from the spot I took this pic you can see the observatory on Palomar Mountain off in the distance. This range is on the north side of the Palomar Mountain range.

There is a campground at the trails end (about 7-8 miles in) and we plan to backpack in and camp there soon (before it gets too hot). I need to figure out if there is water available there though.

I wore my Lowa Jannu Mid boots, they were new and I figured you gotta break them in somehow right? They were great, I had no blisters despite almost 12 miles of hiking. I had a couple points where my feet were a little tender/red but no blisters and after a good night's sleep my feet are happy again.

I carried about 1.5 liters of water and drank nearly all of it on this hike. Lunch, water and a light jacket were carried in my REI Venturi 30 pack. A great pack that really keeps the load away from your back to keep you from getting sweaty. Also, it works well to keep the weight of the load secure and planted on your hips which gives a good center of balance.

11:30 a.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

This was probably a 1-1.5 miles farther up the trail.

This was coming back down and probably one of the scarier parts of the trail as it is fairly narrow with a steep drop off into the canyon below.

11:43 p.m. on May 4, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,407 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

Great trip brief and pics Jules! I have a picture of my kids at the same point of descent (October 09, 96 degrees!). We went through 6 liters of water between the 3 of us. We stopped 1/2 mile beyond the point above. I love this trail and it's only 10-15 minutes from my house.

There is typically water at the top (some natural springs) but not really in the heat of Summer. I don't recall if there is water at the campsite (haven't camped there-plannig to).

So glad you enjoyed it. ;)

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply