Tunxis Trail Day Hike

11:20 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Well today I decided to do a 9 mile day hike to finish up a portion of the Tunxis that I have yet to complete, I have a goal of getting all of the trail, includeing side trails done this summer to get a trail patch from the CT DEP.

It sure did end up being a hot one at 98 degrees today!

I decided to get an early start today to try and beat some of the heat. I arrived at the trailhead at 0630 and made a cup of coffee while getting all of my gear together. I was off at 0700. The trail was fairly easy going the first 2.5 miles and then to my wonderful surprise I stumbled across a true delight. In a high tension power line clearing was thousands of yards of lowbush blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries....all FULLY ripe.

So of course, I had to stop and gorge myself while hoping the black bear family that planted them didn't get the banjos and give chase. So I spent a good half houror so eating berries and filling up a ziploc with blueberries for some muffins or pancakes tomorrow! Yum!

The rest of the hike was brutal, with a combination of the heat, and traversing the central connecticutt valley wall. It was 900ft up then back down to 400 then back up to 1100 and back down to 300 etc. So my legs were burning thouroughly over the duration of the hike. And I am sure glad that I brought 5 liters of water, instead of my normal 3. It was so hot I was sweating like a stuck pig.

The trail did reveal a nice lake nesttled on top of the western valley wall, and several nice outlooks. I plan to return to the lake in the future to try out some fly fishing.

So now all I need to do is wait till the last week of september to do the northern tunxis and get my patch for me and my dog's packs.

As you can see, it was bloody hot and humid.

12:22 a.m. on July 7, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Man...98 degrees huh?

Sounds like the kind of weather we have around here. Good to know there was a lake up there to reward you for your hard work.

How is the doggie doing in the heat?

9:14 a.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Juno is doing good, we took it easy on that hike because it was so hot. I put some of those sports chemical ice pack things inside her pack next to her water bladders to help keep her nice and cool. Seems to work quite well actually.

We are ready for fall and winter to get here though!

9:12 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Sounds like a good workout with a view. :-)

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply