Day Hike Billy Goat

4:15 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,282 forum posts

The billy goat trail runs along the Potomac river outside Washington, DC in three sections - parts A, B, and C. the trails run between the river and the towpath for the C&O Canal in Maryland that runs parallel to the river.

I got out early on Sunday and was approaching one end of the trail by 6:15. two beaver were rather industriously going in and out of the woods, emerging with small branches in mouth, then proceeding to a lodge they were apparently building. i also saw a few deer along the way, a horned beetle about the size of my thumb, and a few woodpeckers banging away at trees. This trail is well-traveled during the day but pretty empty early morning, so the wildlife comes out.

Part A is the rockiest and most difficult of the three, and it's not too hard of a walk. it has great views of the potomac river throughout, and at some points is well-elevated over the river. One short section requires some hand-over-foot scrambling for a short period of time. Most of the trail has fairly good tree cover.

Parts B and C are more gentle - limited ups and downs. manageable for kids and dogs.

it was a pretty peaceful walk last Sunday, but steamy with DC's hot, humid summer in full swing.

7:59 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,990 forum posts

Thanks for sharing, leadbelly. Do you have any pictures?

It's nice that you can get out for a peaceful walk and see some nature, even near the city.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply