Pikes Peak

11:25 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Call me crazy, call me ambitious, but I finally got together all of my essentials to do a multi day backpack trip and two days off in a row. So I figured going up America's Mountain would be fitting for my first trip. Ok, now you might be leaning toward crazy, I know, but let me say that I live at 6000 ft so no adjusting to base elevation, I've been to the top several times before to include two day hikes on the top in the past month, and regularly do day hikes around 10,000 with no ill effect. Maybe not so crazy now? Ok, maybe so. :) Anyways, I had good weather except for rain about 30 minutes Thursday night but I already had camp set up so no problem there, and it was quite cold at the summit first thing this morning which was to be expected. I had a great time even though I'm a bit sore after the walk back down. It isn't letting me upload the photos here for some reason but I have them on my facebook page here for those who are interested.

11:29 p.m. on August 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

I also want to send out a huge thank you to all of the Trailspace family for the help and advice that everyone is always so willing to share. It had a big part in making my first trip a success. :)

12:16 a.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Thanks for the trip report, I enjoyed looking at the photos. Maybe one day I can do that trip too.

In photo 12...I have the same clear water bottle (pretty sure) and the small stoves you had, were they by any chance Mini Atomics, or something along that line?

I'm glad you got to go. I'm headed out myself this weekend.

10:56 a.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

The bottle is an Everyday brand I picked up at Sportsman's Warehouse. Glad you liked the photos and if you ever make it out here I'd be glad to go up with you.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply