The beautiful Ozarks

12:16 p.m. on August 28, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Just got back from a week long solo trip in the Ozarks. The trip was from the Ozone trail head to Fairview campground and back. A roughly 80 mile round trip.

This was some lake at the foothills of the Ozarks.

This is the entrance to the Hurricane Creek wilderness area.

This is the trail going up the mountain into the Hurricane wilderness area. It goes a little over 5 miles uphill, then the last 3/4 mile goes downhill into the creek area. I must be getting old cause it took about 7 hours to do... :)

Scattered throughout the trail were house sized boulders like this.

This is some fresh bear scat I stepped in right out side my camp. Needless to say I was on high alert after this. I came across some more the next morning...

These are the views up and down Hurricane Creek where I camped for the night.

Mother and baby feeding in Hurricane creek.

Some of the mountains the trail meanders through on the way out the other side of the wilderness area.

This is big Piney creek from both directions. There is great small mouth and catfish fishing here. Also a great big sandy beach to make camp. A quarter mile upstream is an awesome swimming hole.

This is the Big Piney in the morning.

This is overlooking Scenic Hwy 123 into the Ozark highlands.

This is the Haw creek trail.

This is Haw creek all dried up. All the creeks in the area were dried up except Piney and Hurricane and there were no water falls running.

More of the Haw creek trail.

This is the Boston Mountains

The end of the road. I had extra time to kill so I decided to push on past Fairview campground east on the Ozark Highlands Trail. This section is seldom hiked and severely overgrown. I managed about a mile and a half, bushwhacking through thorn bushes until I got to worn out and my arms looked like hamburger meat from all the scrapes and cuts. I then turned back.

The end...

2:01 p.m. on August 28, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,180 forum posts

It's good to see other areas in the southeast where a person can go backpacking and live outside for a week. Does the scenic highway get a lot of motorcycle noise? How many miles of backpacking trails would you estimate are in the Ozarks?

4:12 p.m. on August 28, 2010 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I have never set out to determine how many miles of trails are in the Ozarks, but a friend told me one time that if you count in the adjacent Buffalo National Forest there is a little over 600. One thing I like about the Ozarks are the hundreds of caves. One at Eden falls even has a 30 foot waterfall inside the cave. Cool...

11:43 p.m. on August 28, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

The Ozarks are a magic place. I will be at Buffalo River next weekend for a 4 day backpack. Love that area.

12:18 a.m. on August 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Nice pics. I love the Buffalo River area. I have never hiked any of the trail but spent a lot of time on the river as a kid. My husband did a small section of the trail last fall and is wanting to try a different section on the west end.

10:31 a.m. on August 29, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Very nice looking pictures. 37 years ago I was in the Ouachita Job Corps near Royal, Arkansas. the school was on Lake Hamilton about 30 miles west of Hot Springs. I spent all my time off hiking in the woods and along the lake there, The Ozarks are so beautiful. I have a friend who owns land up along the Arkansas/Missiouri border. Very nice area.

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply